Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: 94 Caravan Hood Light help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 09:26 PM
libertyspike138
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Caravan Hood Light help!

I have a 94 Dodge Caravan and the wire coming from the hood light in the engine compartment is cut. I was wondering if someone can tell me where I need to run this wire to. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:58 PM
libertyspike138
Amateur

BUMP!

Anybody?

Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Is it a mercury switch on the bulb socket? If so, you just need direct battery feed with a 10A fused lead in the circuit.

If it’s not a mercury switch, the original switch could be mounted in one of the fender channels or integrated to the hood latch. It wouldn’t be difficult to add your own switch if needed.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 PM
libertyspike138
Amateur

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Is it a mercury switch on the bulb socket? If so, you just need direct battery feed with a 10A fused lead in the circuit.

If it’s not a mercury switch, the original switch could be mounted in one of the fender channels or integrated to the hood latch. It wouldn’t be difficult to add your own switch if needed.
It does not have a mercury switch, just a simple socket and wire. I have had this thing for over 15 years and it has never worked. Upon inspection the bulb was all messed up, and the socket all rusted out as well as that line being cut. I was able to remove the bulb and use a dremel to get the socket nice and shiny. I found a bulb in the shed that fit into it and tested it by jumping the cut lead to the battery and the bulb /socket works. Without a switch I was curious what would originally determine when the thing is off and on? I had thought about running it off of another line with maybe the running lights or something but then the bulb would unnecessarily always be on when the running lights are on. Maybe I do need to find some area that I can just install a switch to. Any recommendations for a 12v source to splice into? Should I install a 10 amp fuse if i splice into something else that is already fused? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

There would have been some type of switch on it from the factory, so if it’s not a mercury switch in the bulb base, it would’ve been somewhere that the hood could actuate it directly as it opened/closed (typically around the perimeter) or wired into the hood latch. The schematic just shows that it was originally powered off the IOD fuse and the switch closed on the ground side when the light turned on (hood open). I haven’t found exact details on where the switch is supposed to be located but honestly I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of trying to figure it out - a PO could’ve removed it.

I wouldn’t bother trying to find a fused circuit to tap into either - adding your own switch is gonna require splicing wires anyway so you might as well add an inline fuse direct from the battery. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it, but off the top of my head, here’s a list of supplies needed (available off the shelf at any parts store or from online vendors).

-momentary contact switch (no bigger than 3/8” mounting base) if you want it to turn on/off automatically as the hood is opened and closed) OR a rocker/toggle switch if you want manual control
-10A in line fused lead (I recommend a mini fuse type)
-14 or 16 gauge wire (length and color depends you - where you want the switch to mount and if you want to easily identify the power/ground wires)
-assortment of solder free terminals (heat shrink type are best) for connecting/splicing the wires

A good source for all of these is picowiring.com

Old 07-02-2020, 09:13 PM
libertyspike138
Amateur

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
There would have been some type of switch on it from the factory, so if it’s not a mercury switch in the bulb base, it would’ve been somewhere that the hood could actuate it directly as it opened/closed (typically around the perimeter) or wired into the hood latch. The schematic just shows that it was originally powered off the IOD fuse and the switch closed on the ground side when the light turned on (hood open). I haven’t found exact details on where the switch is supposed to be located but honestly I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of trying to figure it out - a PO could’ve removed it.

I wouldn’t bother trying to find a fused circuit to tap into either - adding your own switch is gonna require splicing wires anyway so you might as well add an inline fuse direct from the battery. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it, but off the top of my head, here’s a list of supplies needed (available off the shelf at any parts store or from online vendors).

-momentary contact switch (no bigger than 3/8” mounting base) if you want it to turn on/off automatically as the hood is opened and closed) OR a rocker/toggle switch if you want manual control
-10A in line fused lead (I recommend a mini fuse type)
-14 or 16 gauge wire (length and color depends you - where you want the switch to mount and if you want to easily identify the power/ground wires)
-assortment of solder free terminals (heat shrink type are best) for connecting/splicing the wires

A good source for all of these is picowiring.com
---

I just figured I would give you an update. I already had a rocker switch installed down by my fuse box where I had previously installed fog lights but being in a not so good neighborhood somebody broke them off at one point. I was able to just reuse this switch. I soldered together and heathshrunk some extra wire from where it was cut and ran it into the cabin through the hole with the hood release cable and onto this switch. As far as the power source goes for another terminal on the switch... This vehicle does not have any rear air conditioner / heating vents but I noticed an empty slot in the fuse block for one so I checked it and it did have a 12v source on it so I put a 10A mini fuse there and used it as the power source. All good to go for now. Thanks!

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: 94 Caravan Hood Light help!