Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Ambient Air Temp Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM
DCampbell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would towing cause this problem?

Originally Posted by brandoncrone
P0071 is ambient temp sensor performance. The sensor is located behind the front bumper, down at the bottom in the center of the vehicle. You can see it from the front of the vehicle through the holes in the bumper. Its probably a bad sensor as you would have to practically destroy the front bumper to damager the sensor. Also Chrysler products don't use mass air flow sensors (except the mitsubishi cars)
My van was towed at the beginning of the spring & the bumper was cracked due to it (although we didn't see it the night we picked the van up due to it being dark). There has been something hanging from the bumper since & I wonder if this is the sensor? It's low enough to scrape along the road when driving. Your above post states Chryslers don't have the air flow sensor. I habve a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country...would this be the sensor or something else? Cuz Advance Auto got the same reading when they did a check for me.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
CAVUCO

I have a 2009 T&C. The previous owner towed the van behind an RV. For some reason they needed to cut a hole in the air dam beneath the front bumper (about 4x6 inch hole). The air temperature sensor was repositioned to the outside of the air dam instead of between the grills in the front bumper. I moved it back but the air temp readout is correct when you start the car but then climbs and descends erratically. Is this a bad sensor or something else? There are no error codes or lights on the dash.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 AM
kingagnes3

Does anyone know where the ambient air temperature sensor is on a 2011 Caravan? It has the 3.6L engine. I have the part, but I can't find where it goes.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:46 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingagnes3
Does anyone know where the ambient air temperature sensor is on a 2011 Caravan? It has the 3.6L engine. I have the part, but I can't find where it goes.
It's located on the front of the crossmember below the radiator.

Here are pictures of my 2009 Caravan, your sensor will be in the same location but your bumper and grille are different. On the '09 you can remove the sensor without removing anything else, on your '11 you might have to remove the Air Dam or possibly the bumper cover because I believe your sensor is behind the honey comb in the bumper.

George

Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yours should also be behind the honeycomb.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 AM
georgef
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
yours should also be behind the honeycomb.
Tizzy,

Are you saying someone re-assembled my van wrong when the bumper cover was replaced?

George

Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Yep, that's what I'm saying. You shouldn't be able to see the sensor, it goes behind the fascia and attaches to the lower radiator support.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 PM
georgef
Veteran

Thanks, now I'm wondering what else was assembled wrong.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:59 PM
rnhbmf
Default P0071

I have a 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0L. Check engine light came on so I used a code reader and got the P0071 ambient air temperature sensor. So I replaced it. The temp in the mirror has always been good and still is; so why did the code come back after replacing the sensor and resetting the code?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

P0071 is a performance code. When the vehicle is cool and has not run for more than 480 minutes, it compares the ambient temp, the intake air temp and the coolant temp. Ambient air need to read within 10 degrees of the other 2. A little corrosion in a wire goes a long way to setting that code.

Quick Reply: Ambient Air Temp Sensor?