Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Ambient Air Temp Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the over head compass the sensor will read outside temp for that display.
It is also used for A/C operation, charging system operation, and for checking the coolant temp sensor calibration.
There is a separate air temp sensor in the rubber hose between the air filter and throttle body. That's the one the engine uses for fine tuning.

Did your old sensor break around the hole that bolts it on? I've seen stuff like that break if someone over tightens the nut.

Last edited by rabbler; 01-21-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
JDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Did your old sensor break around the hole that bolts it on?"
Yeah, that is where it broke. It appeared the only part damaged was the plastic on the side where it attaches. The sensor itself looked unharmed.

"It is also used for A/C operation, charging system operation, and for checking the coolant temp sensor calibration."
I didnot replace the original. So far no engine light. What things should I look for if it is bad? I gues #1 the check engine light will come back on. But if it is faulty then how will it affect AC operation, charging system operation and coolant temp. sensor calibration. I've had the van for a year and it always seems it takes a while for the heat to kick in.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
ghlkal
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by mike_302
I just wanted to post up that the sensor ended up costing me $6.95 and it is right where you said it would be.
Thanks for posting a follow up - I always appreciate it when folks let us know what the problem was.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 AM
angelina1982

yeah, I would like to know b/c my inside console will say -40 degress out side and it really 80 degress. autozone told me that means the ambient sensor bad, that might be my replay fans are not wokring could this be true..???

Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Bruce Senst
Default ambient air temp sensor

Thanks rabbler. Have a 2007 Town and Country. We had a snowstorm and going down the street I went thru the snow the plow had left by the main drag. needless to say it ripped off the plastic valance below the front bumber. Later upon my retrurn I saw a plastic piece in the street. Looked at the van and figured it could be mine. Of course, as I was walking to the corner, another car made the turn and ran it over. Sure enough it was of my van. A few days later, I noticed a wire was hanging down, thought maybe it was a light bulb off the valence.

About a month later the check engine light came on. At the end of the wire was what appeared to be a broken light but it was actually the ambient air temp sensor. Local parts store didn't have one. Went to the dealer and was blown away when they had one in stock and it only cost $2.85 plus tax. Unhooked the battery to clear the check engine light and it is fixed. Thanks for the thread DodgeForum.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 PM
cblegy
Default 97 ram ambiant sensor

i have the check engine light on the code says ambiant air sensor i bought a new one but cant find the old one to replace
not at the bumper,at the side og raditor can anyone help smog is due soon help

Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is where the ambient temp sensor is located on a '97 ram truck

Old 08-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cblegy
i have the check engine light on the code says ambiant air sensor i bought a new one but cant find the old one to replace
not at the bumper,at the side og raditor can anyone help smog is due soon help
There is not a separate sensor for ambient air on the 97 vans, I rechecked my 97 FSM and there is no information on one. IIRC from either this forum or another one that some of the vans use the battery temp sensor to get a reading. Might even be the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

Have you tried to reset the PCM and see if the code resets?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 PM
em2268

I couldn't find the location of the ambient air temp sensor for my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan; however, I found it and thought I'd help the next guy. It's located towards the center of the vehicle between the one of grills on the bumper. Some may be able to maneuver around the Airdam to gain proper access, but my hands were to big so I had to disassemble half the Airdam.

I was experiencing faulty outside temp readings and engine light was on. According to Autozone, if not replaced the vehicle may experience a failed emissions test, rich or lean running conditions, excessive fuel consumption, and/or skewed temp on indicator.

All in all, it took me about 30 minutes to change out and it cost me a whopping $10 from the parts department at a dodge dealer. Autozone wanted $20 and it was a special order. Originally, it was going to cost me close to $150 if I got it serviced thru the dealer! Glad I figured it out! Hope this helps!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
To All of the new members.

Quick Reply: Ambient Air Temp Sensor?