Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 grand caravan rear ac

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 06:36 PM
1987ss
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 grand caravan rear ac

2017 dodge grand caravan gt rear ac blows warm/hot front ac is cold if I touch the lines in rear wheel well that go into expansion valve one it cold other is warm any help would be great.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

You've got bad blend door actuator that is stuck on the hot position depending on your mileage and the date you've bought the van it's possible it's still under warranty 2017 Dodge Chrysler warranty 3 years 36,000 miles or 60,000 km.. You can try to change it yourself if you're the least bit mechanically inclined don't bother with the aftermarket stuff they don't last go for the Mopar brand get them on line from places like Rock Auto or Mopar Parts Giant.

South Main Auto Repair has a couple of videos on YouTube on how to take the back trim off and one on how to replace the blend door actuator if you think you want to take the challenge and do it yourself..

The following users liked this post:
1987ss (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 09:48 PM
1987ss
Amateur

Thank you I will pull it apart and take a look at it. I did change out the mode door. Ceiling to floor door a year or so ago.. it's out of warranty

Old 07-29-2020, 10:48 PM
1987ss
Amateur
Default Broken blend door

Broke blend door actuator continues to rotate

Old 07-29-2020, 10:50 PM
1987ss
Amateur

What is causing actuator to rotate and brake doors?

Old 07-30-2020, 12:32 PM
Mopar340
Veteran

Most likely you replaced a blend door actuator with an aftermarket one then the system has to be recalibrated because the way these actuator works each motor has a potentiometer built in so the master unit can communicate a receive a signal that determine at what deflection each blend door are positioned. Now all Mopar OEM blend door actuators have all the same characteristics built in such as travel or deflection when opening and closing the blend doors. Aftermarket manufacturer of blend door actuator makes many different types for all makes of vehicles which has all different opening and closing travel deflections for their system as a cost saving measure they use all the same motor just a different casing.

If you purchase and installed an aftermarket blend door actuator because the deflection has a greater range to accommodate the many different brands of vehicles the master unit cannot determine from the signal if the blend door is fully open or close without it being calibrated as such for the specific brand of vehicle. If the aftermarket blend door actuator was installed without calibration it would put unnecessary stress on the blend door as the actuator motor would try to go the fully open or close position and over a matter of time it would eventually it would cause a break of the blend door itself.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:39 PM
1987ss
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mopar340
Most likely you replaced a blend door actuator with an aftermarket one then the system has to be recalibrated because the way these actuator works each motor has a potentiometer built in so the master unit can communicate a receive a signal that determine at what deflection each blend door are positioned. Now all Mopar OEM blend door actuators have all the same characteristics built in such as travel or deflection when opening and closing the blend doors. Aftermarket manufacturer of blend door actuator makes many different types for all makes of vehicles which has all different opening and closing travel deflections for their system as a cost saving measure they use all the same motor just a different casing.

If you purchase and installed an aftermarket blend door actuator because the deflection has a greater range to accommodate the many different brands of vehicles the master unit cannot determine from the signal if the blend door is fully open or close without it being calibrated as such for the specific brand of vehicle. If the aftermarket blend door actuator was installed without calibration it would put unnecessary stress on the blend door as the actuator motor would try to go the fully open or close position and over a matter of time it would eventually it would cause a break of the blend door itself.
thanks mopar340 when I replaced the Mode door (floor/ceiling) I did try to use a Dorman part but it would not communicate with the dealerships scanner, so they put the original OEM actuator back in and reprogrammed parameters, both actuators are the original mopar brand that came with van. but I have not changed the blend door actuator it is still the OEM actuator I actually just ordered a blend door today I should have it in a week the actuator continues to rotate on Startup for approximately20 seconds. Do you think I should buy a new actuator or head unit? Or just do the door and bring it in for reprogramming?Actuator does respond when u run current to it every time. I dont want to just throw parts at it in Hope's of correcting issue..

Also on occasion the hvac will blow harder than normal like recirculation button has ben pressed but it hasn't. It has maybe done that like 3xs that I've noticed. Could just be a change in airflow not sure why. No biggie

Old 08-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Mopar340
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1987ss
thanks mopar340 when I replaced the Mode door (floor/ceiling) I did try to use a Dorman part but it would not communicate with the dealerships scanner, so they put the original OEM actuator back in and reprogrammed parameters, both actuators are the original mopar brand that came with van. but I have not changed the blend door actuator it is still the OEM actuator I actually just ordered a blend door today I should have it in a week the actuator continues to rotate on Startup for approximately20 seconds. Do you think I should buy a new actuator or head unit? Or just do the door and bring it in for reprogramming?Actuator does respond when u run current to it every time. I dont want to just throw parts at it in Hope's of correcting issue..

Also on occasion the hvac will blow harder than normal like recirculation button has ben pressed but it hasn't. It has maybe done that like 3xs that I've noticed. Could just be a change in airflow not sure why. No biggie
When you changed out the mode blend door was it with a Mopar OEM or an aftermarket one usually the blend doors are made to be stronger than the actuators the gears should strip out or break before the blend door. Aftermarket typically are lesser quality than OEM parts that could explain why you had a second failure of the exact blend door. The first could've just been a quality issue that an inferior blend door has made to the assembly line. If the dealership scanned and recaliberated all your blend door actuators and they all passed during the test that means they all operating correctly. The blend door actuators runs on + - 0-5 VDC reverse polarity and they move every time current is applied. I would suspect your control unit is good because it would showed that when they scanned the system I would installed the blend door and manually check the opening and closing to assure no binding whatsoever and then install the actuator and before buttoning everything up visually check the operation again with the blend door actuator if it's checkout OK there's no need for recaliberation.

If A/C is the Auto Climate Control unit and it's on AUTO setting depending on how hot it's inside the system could go into the recirc mode to cool down the van quicker the indication light should be on while in recirc mode. The rear A/C unit has nothing to do with recirc mode it's separate zone which doesn't have the feature. The recirc mode is only for the front zones driver and passenger.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:48 AM
1987ss
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mopar340
When you changed out the mode blend door was it with a Mopar OEM or an aftermarket one usually the blend doors are made to be stronger than the actuators the gears should strip out or break before the blend door. Aftermarket typically are lesser quality than OEM parts that could explain why you had a second failure of the exact blend door. The first could've just been a quality issue that an inferior blend door has made to the assembly line. If the dealership scanned and recaliberated all your blend door actuators and they all passed during the test that means they all operating correctly. The blend door actuators runs on + - 0-5 VDC reverse polarity and they move every time current is applied. I would suspect your control unit is good because it would showed that when they scanned the system I would installed the blend door and manually check the opening and closing to assure no binding whatsoever and then install the actuator and before buttoning everything up visually check the operation again with the blend door actuator if it's checkout OK there's no need for recaliberation.

If A/C is the Auto Climate Control unit and it's on AUTO setting depending on how hot it's inside the system could go into the recirc mode to cool down the van quicker the indication light should be on while in recirc mode. The rear A/C unit has nothing to do with recirc mode it's separate zone which doesn't have the feature. The recirc mode is only for the front zones driver and passenger.
Thanks for info the 1st failure was mode door this time it was blend door. I agree it is very likely it was poor quality and I did replace mode door with oem part I ordered threw dealer. The blend/temp door I just ordered on line is a oem mopar part as well I ordered online it's being shipped from texas to Minnesota I should have it monday. I appreciate your help!! Thanks mopar340!! I was worried it would need recalibrating because it just rotates right now if I plug it in. Maybe because it's not meeting resistance? And another question this door sits lower in hvac box do you think I can disassemble without having to evac system?

Old 08-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Mopar340
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1987ss
Thanks for info the 1st failure was mode door this time it was blend door. I agree it is very likely it was poor quality and I did replace mode door with oem part I ordered threw dealer. The blend/temp door I just ordered on line is a oem mopar part as well I ordered online it's being shipped from texas to Minnesota I should have it monday. I appreciate your help!! Thanks mopar340!! I was worried it would need recalibrating because it just rotates right now if I plug it in. Maybe because it's not meeting resistance? And another question this door sits lower in hvac box do you think I can disassemble without having to evac system?
I think I get a clearer picture now correct me if I'm wrong you had to replace one blend door which was the mode door ceiling/floor now you're having a problem with the other blend door which is the temp blend door hot /cold. Sometimes these blend door can get stuck especially the temp ones because of the changing season winter/summer for the colder climate where the heat is constantly use over the winter months. Hopefully this is the case with your situation where the door got stuck and it stripped the plastic gear in actuator motor then you'd only have to replace the actuator otherwise you'll have take apart the rear A/C unit to get at the door. Did you physically take a look at the temp blend door or just going by what the temp blend door actuator doing? Hopefully for you sake it's just a stuck door that cause the blend door motor to stripped it's gear and running without doing anything otherwise if the actual blend door is busted you'd have to take the rear A/C unit apart to get to the blend door unfortunately there's a bunch of screws and clips that hold everything together and they're all on the backside of the unit. With the trim of unfasten the unit unscrew and unplug the temp blend door actuator with it still splined in try to move it back and forth to seen if the blend door is still intact and moving freely be very careful when bending the rear unit to get at the actuator not to damage the cooling coil expansion valve when the line are still hook up if that the case you just need a new actuator.

If the actual blend door is broken things gets complicate because it's location on the unit being very low it would be risky to attempt to change out the temp blend door which could end up damaging the expansion valve then you need a whole new cooling coil. An automotive A/C shop would be less expensive than the dealership they'll reclaim your refridgerant and reuse it change out your temp blend door and recaliberate all your actuators.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 grand caravan rear ac