Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Grand Caravan no ignition w new PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 05:18 PM
manutahiti
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Grand Caravan no ignition w new PCM

Hi everybody!

Our 2008 Grand Caravan 3.8 L has been imported in my country (Tahiti) in 2010 and was working fine for almost 10 years
6 months ago the ignition begun to malfunction: to key would not come out of the switch anymore, locked on the ON position.
we had to wait for hours and eventually it would come out.
A few weeks later the key would not work any more, at all: no contact (ON) and nothing worked: no lights on the dash expect mileage,
no doors lock, no windows. Still is the same today.
A local garage advises us to order on new PCM, that we did and received last week, from FlagShip one, programmed with the car's VIN number.
I changed the PCM but no change. I suspect the key ignition system to be the problem. I have no way to daignose.
No need to say there's no dealer here!
Any idea ?

Thanks for any help!

Manu

Old 08-24-2020, 10:57 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

The key is inserted into the ignition wireless node - the node uses the communication network to tell the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module - aka engine bay fuse box) the driver is requesting the ignition on or a start. From there, the TIPM tells the PCM a start is being requested.

Am I understanding correctly that the key is turning to the on/crank position but nothing is happening? If so, possible causes are:

1) The ignition node, TIPM or PCM is malfunctioning and needs replacement. Since you got the same result with a replacement PCM, I doubt the PCM is to blame. I recommend installing the original PCM to continue troubleshooting the issue.

2) There is a problem with the communication circuit(s) that’s preventing the PCM from starting the engine and the TIPM from powering on the interior.

The TIPM is a very common failure on these vans; however the ignition node is also known to fail. I don’t recommend replacing these components outright - besides the expense, if the data network is to blame, replacing them won’t solve the problem anyway.

I don’t know what kind of shops you have at your disposal, but the original PCM needs to be checked for either communication related codes (begin with U) or live data be monitored as the key is being turned to see if it’s receiving the start request. This will require a professional level scan tool - even if you don’t have a Dodge dealer, any shop with a pro scan tool should be capable of checking this information.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 PM
manutahiti

We changed the TIPM also, so probably the WCM should be the issue there. I doubt finding any scanning tool around here. Thank you for your reply!

Old 08-25-2020, 06:56 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

Originally Posted by manutahiti
We changed the TIPM also, so probably the WCM should be the issue there. I doubt finding any scanning tool around here. Thank you for your reply!
To the best of my knowledge, you won’t be able to install the ignition node without a scan tool. It has to be programmed to the PCM and can only be done so using a 4 digit PIN for your van which is only available from Dodge.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:13 PM
manutahiti

We have the 4 digits pin. I'll try to find a scanner.
Meanwhile I'll check on the ignition.
Thanks,

Old 08-25-2020, 10:20 PM
manutahiti

I checked on the WIN module online, it's hidden behind the dashboard and is not easy to remove. I will try to do that.
Meanwhile I wonder if any new WIN module can be ordered on the internet, seems to be difficult to find for the 2008 Caravan, I found only OEM models for recent years like 2014.
I also found a shop Auto Tech Electronics from Laredo who is offering to repair those modules. Any hint ?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The solution is simple, you grab your fishing pole and a cooler of drinks, you walk down to the beach, and you forget about it. DAMN I wish I could go to Tahiti or any of the Cook Islands.

The following users liked this post:
manutahiti (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:47 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Originally Posted by manutahiti
I checked on the WIN module online, it's hidden behind the dashboard and is not easy to remove. I will try to do that.
Meanwhile I wonder if any new WIN module can be ordered on the internet, seems to be difficult to find for the 2008 Caravan, I found only OEM models for recent years like 2014.
I also found a shop Auto Tech Electronics from Laredo who is offering to repair those modules. Any hint ?
You may have to go through a Mopar specific website (google search “mopar parts” for several results) or contact a dealer in the States to source a new WIN module.

As far as repairing it goes, it is possible. However, I’d caution you to thoroughly research the companies claiming to repair them, meaning try to find reviews independent of the website as they will only post reviews/testimonials that are supportive to their business. The bottom line is you just don’t know who you’re dealing with or how long it will take, so without independent reviews of the business, you’re sending it out at your own risk.

The following users liked this post:
manutahiti (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
You may have to go through a Mopar specific website (google search “mopar parts” for several results) or contact a dealer in the States to source a new WIN module.

As far as repairing it goes, it is possible. However, I’d caution you to thoroughly research the companies claiming to repair them, meaning try to find reviews independent of the website as they will only post reviews/testimonials that are supportive to their business. The bottom line is you just don’t know who you’re dealing with or how long it will take, so without independent reviews of the business, you’re sending it out at your own risk.
LOL, it's just plastic trim but you have to keep in mind I'm a guy who built my own intake out of PVC pipe and one point. They are just cars not pieces of ancient art. :-)

Old 08-27-2020, 05:43 PM
manutahiti

Originally Posted by IDon'tGiveARam
The solution is simple, you grab your fishing pole and a cooler of drinks, you walk down to the beach, and you forget about it. DAMN I wish I could go to Tahiti or any of the Cook Islands.
That's the plan, to put all my fishing gear in the Dodge and to go to the harbour! Tahiti is in French polynesia, not the Cook.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Grand Caravan no ignition w new PCM