Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Key FOB deprogramming? issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 07:03 PM
10brakelight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key FOB deprogramming? issue

I have two 5th gen Caravans, a 2010 and a 2017. I accidentally tried to start the 2010 with the only fob I have for the 2017 several times. After doing so, the 2017 vehicle no longer recognizes the key in any way - none of the remote functions work, and after unlocking the door with the physical key, it won't reset the alarm.

I am quite confident there's nothing physically wrong with the fob, I've taken it apart and cleaned it well and inspected it closely, as well as probing it with a multimeter to make sure it's getting voltage to the buttons. It simply seems to have somehow been deprogrammed by the older van. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-26-2020, 06:39 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

You could try this procedure if it works:

to program the dodge caravan key, you open the driver's side door of your caravan and press the "lock" button five times in a row with two seconds of space between each time. insert the caravan key into the ignition and turn it one click until you hear the ignition of the chime indicating the key. press the "unlock" button on the remote program and hold it down for 5 to 10 seconds. click the "unlock" and "lock" keys and activate them at the same moment, within 30 seconds of the chime, on the remote you are programming. click the "unlock" button and open it easily. once again, you can hear a chime that ensures that the programming has been effective.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:02 PM
10brakelight

As far as I can tell, that process is intended for programming additional keys when you already have working ones. I'm also fairly certain it's not the correct procedure for modern caravans, since AFAIK you have to use a procedure involving two existing keys to program more keys for modern Chrysler vehicles. Additionally, this vehicle and FOB are fully disconnected, neither the remote functions nor the ignition lockout work, so it's not possible to use the buttons on the FOB to signal the vehicle in any way.

Regardless, it wouldn't be useful because the vehicle is stuck in alarm mode. Even after leaving it locked with the battery disconnected overnight, reconnecting the battery sets off the alarm. This happens even with the FOB disassembled, and obviously with the FOB not working there is no way to disable the alarm.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Since your key fob triggered the sentry key immobilizer system look like you need a dealer or a locksmith because you'll need the vehicle 4 digit code to program keys. I'm not sure but when a key fob is already programmed to a vehicle it cannot be reprogrammed a second time..

Old 09-27-2020, 12:03 PM
10brakelight

Alright, thanks for the input. Hopefully I can find a locksmith who can take care of it, really don't want to give the scammers at the dealers any money.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Key FOB deprogramming? issue