Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: transmission not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM
mem5877
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

I recently bought a 2012 Grand Caravan . The dealer replaced the alternator and one wheel bearing before we actually bought it. Just a week later I had to replace the left front cv axle the rear brakes and calipers the right rear wheel bearing and the heater hoses. After that It was going great . I went camping and when I was on way home it wouldn't shift out of second the rpm were way up and sometimes the gauge would just go crazy. I limped into a town and finally found a mechanic that would at least look at it he put a code reader on it and took for a test drive . He said he reset the codes for me so it would shift and that it had a list of codes a mile long, So far it is shifting when it is supposed to but every so often when I accelerate from a stop it feels like the transmission is slipping. Something does smell hot after I drive it for a little bit. the engine temp is good according to the temp gauge. Any suggestions. According to the odometer there is over 200,000 miles on van. I wish my husband had taken the van to get a complete inspection before saying we would take it the dealer said if we found anything wrong they would fix it.

I have a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan a bit over 200,000 miles on it and it needs transmission work probably replaced or rebuild which ever is cheaper I would like to know which years are interchangeable and would a Chrysler Town and Country have the same transmission? It is automatic. If I had known it had all these problems I would never have bought it. But my know it all husband said it was fine once the dealer replaced the alternator and a wheel bearing. Now a month after buying it I have put almost as much money into repairs as I paid for the van. I live in Columbus Ohio if anyone has any suggestions.

I have put close to $2000 in repairs already on this van since I purchased it in September. It now needs a transmission and the supposed "new" alternator the seller put on it has now died. Is it worth it to put the parts in it to get it running again or should I just give up. I do not have any more $ really to spend on this van. Lesson learned to me for listening to my husband who said it was good to go and not taking for a through inspection. I have a 2012 Grand Caravan over 200,00 miles on it . I also had issues with the dealer spelling my name wrong on all the paperwork when he had my license right in front of him for all the paperwork. I gave title back to him to fix. I kept calling to ask where it was and he said it was in the mail this was on November 4th. I never got it so I went through the auditors office to get a good title. Well guess what came in the mail 2 weeks ago from the dealer - The title he supposedly mailed in November, it was postmarked December 31.

What other makes of transmission other than Dodge or Chrysler will fit my 2012 grand Caravan ? I had the answer before but cannot find my post. Is it better to just get rid of the van or replace the transmission? I purchased it for $3000 on Labor day I promptly had to put almost as much in repairs into it as I paid for it. I should have just taken it to my mechanic to get a good complete inspection done. My husband said it was fine and good to go . Now it not only needs a transmission the so called new alternator that the dealer put in has gone bad. I never even put a thousnad miles on the van after buying it. I know I bought it as is no warranty. The van has around two hundred twenty thousand miles on it.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-02-2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Duplicates
Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

The 62TE transmission has been notorious to fail their life expectancy is between 130,000 - 180,000 miles if yours has 200,000 it did good. Some of these transmission had some different failures some the torque converter failed causing debris to clog the filter where no fluid would get to the pump then you hear a whining sound. There also an issue with the low compound drum where the lands rotate causing them to wear causing fluid to leak which can cause slippage of the transmission eventually it with lose reverse gear and some time the forward gear slippage will cause overheating in a transmission. Chrysler now has an updated low compound drum that the lands are stationary which has been used in the newer version of the 62TE. I would bring it to transmission shop to get checked out you might need a rebuild before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: transmission not shifting