Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Dodge Caravan P06DA Oil Pump Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 PM
MorganJohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2013 Dodge Caravan P06DA Oil Pump Circuit

I recently received an intermittent P06DA error code. It goes off and on with no relation to the amount of kms driven, and no relational to speed or RPM. Based on the definition of the code seen below I do believe it is either an issue with the wires, the oil pump solenoid, or the PCM. I inspected the wires, and they all seem to be fine, but it might be open, shorted, or just high resistance (maybe something in the connectors?). I was able to replicate the error code by disconnecting the oil pump solenoid, so I am confident it is something within that circuit, maybe the solenoid is on its way to failure? I was able to figure out that this solenoid is wired directly to the PCM, diagrams seen below. I recently changed the oil and oil filter to make sure that was not the problem, it is the correct oil filter (FRAM CH10955) and oil type (5W-20). The battery voltage is around 14.2 volts while running, the PCM appears to be grounded ok, and there are no other codes. There is a TSB out there for this code for the 2012's so that might be it: https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-104-15.pdf

P06DA: with the engine running, with the battery voltage above 10.0 volt, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the oil pump solenoid control circuit for an open or short to ground when the oil pump solenoid is commanded on. The circuit is monitored for a short to voltage when the oil pump solenoid is commanded off. Set conditions, with the oil pump solenoid commanded on, the PCM detects either now current draw indicating an open or excessive circuit temperature indicating a short to ground. With the oil pump solenoid commanded off, the PCM detects voltage on the oil pump solenoid control circuit. Another reason this may happen: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects and open on the (G62) Variable Oil Pump Control circuit for 1.5 seconds

Got error codes definition and some troubleshooting steps here: https://www.obd2-code.com/2017/04/dt...l-circuit.html. I have not done most of these tests yet and cannot perform some of them with my basic DTC code tool.

There is a Dorman solenoid that can replace the Mopar solenoid in the oil pump:
I found these good videos for replacing the entire oil pump which gives a good idea on where the oil pump solenoid is and how to change it. It would be nice if I could drop the oil pan and then change it, but it looks like there might not be enough room.
Has anyone seen this error code and what did you do? has anyone replaced just the oil pump solenoid without removing the oil pump? is it possible the solenoid is gummed up and drawing more current to engage and is there an oil treatment to clean up the oil system?

Thanks,

Morgan Anderson

Old 12-23-2020, 12:33 PM
MorganJohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update 1: I was able to get the oil pressure and oil temp enhanced PIDs added to Torque Pro. Based on what I am seeing posted in the Oil Pressure and Temperature Observations below everything is working as expected currently while the check engine light is off and there are currently no codes. I will check this all again if the code comes back which I suspect it will. This started when the temperatures here got down to freezing overnight. I wonder if it will come back when the temperatures drop again.

Oil Pressure and Temperature Observations
  • Starting Oil Pressure: 90psi, Oil Temp: 82F
  • Accelerating Oil Pressure 85psi, Oil Temp: slowly rises while vehicle runs.
  • Oil Pressure while stopped: 35psi, Oil Temp: slowly rises while vehicle runs.
  • Driving Oil Pressure while Oil Temp is less than 165F: 70-80psi.
  • When Oil Temp hit 165F the Oil Pressure dropped to a running pressure of 35-40psi. The solenoid clicked in as expected when the oil was hot enough and the pressure dropped.
  • At this point while accelerating the Oil Pressure would only go up to 43psi if under 3500rpm for a few seconds. Cruising Oil Pressure was right around 30psi on average.
  • If I accelerated and got the rpm over 3500 for about 4-5 seconds the solenoid would turn off again and the Oil Pressure would shoot up to about 70psi. It would then drop back down to 30psi.
  • The oil temp at this point kept climbing up to 200F+
Torque Pro Chrysler/Dodge Oil Pressure PID
PID: 22022a
LongName: [Chrysler] Oil Pressure
ShortName: Oil Pres
MinimumValue: 0
MaximumValue: 100
UnitType: psi
Equation: (A*150)/255-1
OBD Header: Auto

Torque Pro Chrysler/Dodge Oil Temperature PID
PID: 220121
LongName: [Chrysler] Oil Temperature
ShortName: Oil Temp
MinimumValue: -64
MaximumValue: 240
UnitType: F
Equation: (A-64)*1.8+32
OBD Header: Auto

Update 2: The P06DA code has been off for about 2500kms now, about 2 months. Today I changed the oil and filter again to drain out any excess gunk that may have been built up in there. After checking the PIDs 2 months ago to make sure everything was functioning normally the code just went away. All I really did was change the oil, the oil filter, checked the wires described in my original post, and I disconnected and reconnected the solenoid connector. The other thing is that I have not had my cheap OBD2 blue tooth reader connected for the last 2 months after checking the PIDs. So I am now wondering if leaving that connected all the time might cause some strange ECU issues?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Dodge Caravan P06DA Oil Pump Circuit