Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: ASD trouble shooting, part of TIPM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 02:01 PM
Mark Warren
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ASD trouble shooting, part of TIPM?

***RESOLVED*** see below.

I'm still trouble shooting my 2011 which cranks but does not fire. Its pointing to the ASD circuit, I'm getting no power at the fuses, and no fire even with quick start (not fuel pump issue). I believe it could be the PCM, the TIPM or ignition switch. Any insight on how to proceed? TIA!

Last edited by Mark Warren; 01-27-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:26 PM
Mark Warren

Here is the TIPM with part of the ASD relay control integrated. M21 fuse has no power. Run/Start is fine. Can I jump 12v onto pin 85 on the physical relay to test?

The following users liked this post:
joepeterson56 (09-17-2022)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 PM
Mark Warren

I resolved this issue. It was a corroded pin on the PCM for the ASD relay control. Before I found this pin issue, I was able to the temporarily start the van by jumping 12v to the ASD Relay Output on the TIPM.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 PM
Mark Warren

When the key is in the ON position and the engine is not running (zero rpm), the Auto Shutdown (ASD) and fuel pump relays de-energize after approximately 1 second. Therefore, battery voltage is not supplied to the fuel pump, ignition coil, fuel injectors and heated oxygen sensors.

ENGINE START-UP MODE
This is an OPEN LOOP mode. If the vehicle is in park or neutral, the ignition switch energizes the starter relay when the engine is not running. The following actions occur when the starter motor is engaged:
  • If the PCM receives the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor signals, it energizes the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay and fuel pump relay. If the PCM does not receive both signals within approximately one second, it will not energize the ASD relay and fuel pump relay. The ASD and fuel pump relays supply battery voltage to the fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition coil, and heated oxygen sensors.
  • The PCM energizes the injectors (on the 69°falling edge) for a calculated pulse width until it determines crankshaft position from the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor signals. The PCM determines crankshaft position within 1 engine revolution.
  • After determining crankshaft position, the PCM begins energizing the injectors in sequence. It adjusts injector pulse width and controls injector synchronization by turning the individual ground paths to the injectors On and Off

Old 01-28-2021, 10:18 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Good find.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: ASD trouble shooting, part of TIPM?