Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2015, Cylinder 6 Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 11:27 AM
Smith P.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2015, Cylinder 6 Misfire

So the engine light came one, turned out to be a misfire in cylinder six. My local mechanic shop checked the plugs and coils, did a pressure check and it found the issue to be the actual cylinder head. They told me it would need to go to a dodge shop to get this fixed and it looks like I might be up a creek as far are the warranty is concerned, I'm under 100,000 but I have a 2015 van, so I'm just past the 5 year point. I'm waiting for a call back from the local dodge shop, but from what I can tell I've entered the "Pentastar Engine" rabbit hole. It seems there is a known defect with the cylinder heads, and it was bad enough that dodge extended the warranty for 2011-2013 vehicles with the engine, but the problem doesn't stop there. There's a class action law suit claiming that the issues extend all the way through 2019's. Repairs for this sort of thing seem to be in the $3000 to $4500 range, which is not something I'm interested in chocking on. I'd rather put a down payment on something that is expected to work after 5 years. Has anyone else dealt with similar cylinder issues? Is dodge standing by its product and recognizing this as an issue for vehicles past 2013?

Old 05-03-2021, 12:26 PM
robesq

Sorry, I can't offer any solution to your ordeal but offer my recent tale of woe in hopes your issue has been resolved and you perhaps can provide me some guidance. I have 2014 Town and Country with 111,000 miles and I am definitely down the "pentastar engine" rabbit hole. It started with a cylinder 6 misfire along with a air/fuel imbalance code. I was hoping solving the misfire, new plugs and coil would take care of the fuel imbalance issues. Not so fast, after replacing plugs and coil in cylinder 6 a got a injector fault code in cylinder 4 along with the air/fuel imbalance code. UGH, so change out the injector, no more injector fault code but the air/fuel imbalance code persists. After researching and reading about the dreaded head, rocker arm and cam issues on these motors I ventured on to the head. I figured that must be it. A quick (not really) check of the cam shaft and rocker arms showed no issues, UGH. Oh and during one of the multiple tear downs and build ups, I switched coils around on bank 2, putting the new coil on cylinder 2 and an the old one on cylinder 6. Which resulted in a misfire code back on cylinder 6. UGH. So as you see nothing but frustration. My next step is to button it all back up, and take it to dealership to see what I am missing. I am in hopes that possible a flashing of the ECM will fix the imbalance fuel code? So what final resolved your misfire in cylinder 6, thanks.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:42 AM
Adam.Darnell73

Very similar issue on my 2015 Grand Caravan. Just hit 125,000 and Misfire on #6. Changed everything and no luck. Code keeps coming back.
Changed: Plugs, Coils, Injectors. Doing a compression test this weekend if time allows.
Please post any solutions...

Thanks In Advance.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:30 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Well if there's a class action suit would lead anyone to believe that Dodge is not standing by their product especially on these head issue. You can get heads from RockAuto and any good mechanic should be able to replace a head on an engine.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2015, Cylinder 6 Misfire