Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Transmission issue troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 09:43 AM
Jimmy0626
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue troubleshooting

OK so I’ve seen a lot of similar posts but nothing with an answer that I can use. So from the other posts I’ll give you the pertinent information which may help someone if they are (please) kind enough to educate me… My caravan transmission acts like it’s in park when I put it in reverse will not move forward or backwards, When it is in neutral with the engine running it drives forward as if it is in drive …with the key off in neutral it will roll backwards and forwards if pushed or on a hill. Now I don’t know from all the different posts but I guess whether or not it will roll with the key off can be a major troubleshooting point but the one post that asked that question the person said “no” and there was no more information on why that’s a troubleshooting point??

please help It’s a Nevada and Florida van with zero rust ….a 2001 with only 110,000 miles everything works perfectly until this transmission issue it’s not worth replacing the whole transmission if there’s any chance this is a cheaper fix or a part that I can change out it would be a shame to have to get rid of this and stop driving it.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:03 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Set the park brake brake and disconnect the shift cable from the transmission. Move the shifter at the transmission by hand all the way forward toward the radiator. That will be park. Release the park brake and see if the van rolls. If the van doesn't roll. Then you may have a cable is giving you full travel.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Transmission issue troubleshooting