Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: P0455 and P0430 Codes - Reduced Acceleration!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Lion Heart
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default P0455 and P0430 Codes - Reduced Acceleration!!!

Hi Guys

2013 Grand Caravan 3.6...

I have two codes on my car right now: P0455 EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large) and P0430 Catalytic Efficiency Below Theshold Bank 2

I've had these codes for a good while, and finally getting around to try and fix them. The acceleration is sluggish, and the car essentially does not rev over around 3500 revs. It drives fine, just sluggish. Slow and steady!

The P0455 was previously a (small) leak but very recently change to a (large) leak. I have noted more engine noise than normal (more of a growl, especially on upward hills).

Wondering if anyone here has had these two codes in combination before, and if so what their experiences were, or what I should be checking for?

All help very welcome!

Old 10-09-2021, 07:41 AM
10brakelight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The evap system is its own thing and likely nothing to do with the other issue. The first place to check is always the gas cap, especially the garbage ones Chrysler uses have a tendency to be a problem. If it's not that, it's going to be a leak elsewhere in the system. Next thing I'd check would be the vacuum hose connection at the filler. If I remember right, on these vehicles if you undo the three screws in the gas door you can get a decent look at it without pulling the whole thing out.

The combination of a cat code and the symptoms you're describing would lead me to think that perhaps the cat is clogged and not flowing properly. Right now would be a bad time for that to happen with prices being what they are, but it's probably the first thing I'd check. If you put the car in park/neutral and lay into the gas progressively, does it rev up properly or does it die off at a certain point?

Old 10-09-2021, 04:21 PM
Lion Heart

Thanks for the input!!! With regards to the revs, it would go to a little over 3000rpm and then start to stall out.

I'm also guessing the cat. Looks like a completely pig to remove though!

BTW I did replace the gas cap already, but I did not check the gas line hose. I'll take a look at that.

I'm thinking I likely have a vacuum leak somewhere, AND a dodgy cat!!!!!

Old 10-10-2021, 12:44 PM
10brakelight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That stalling out is near-confirmation that it's the cat - unless maybe you have an AMAZINGLY clogged air filter. An internal combustion engine is an air pump, and while it may not need a lot of fuel to spin up unloaded, it's still moving the same amount of air. That air restriction is what's stopping it revving up higher.

I wouldn't be searching the entire vacuum system, just the evap system. There are typically several places that they tend to fail - near the filler because the tubing degraded, at the vacuum sensor, and at the switch that controls it. I don't remember exactly where those are in a caravan, but it should be fairly easy to check a few spots and work your way through the most likely problems.

Old 10-10-2021, 05:47 PM
Lion Heart

Thanks, really appreciate the input!!!

I'm not getting any fuel smell around the filler, which I read is common is the filler tube is going.

I also read that around the charcoal canister is a good place to check for the vacuum leaks?

I was considering removing the cat and try to clean it before having to spend on a replacement as even non genuine ones are not cheap currently. Do you know which cat bank 2 is? The one that you can see easily from under the car coming down above the subframe, or the one hidden away in behind the radiator?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: P0455 and P0430 Codes - Reduced Acceleration!!!