Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Is it the Transmission or Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:43 PM
Krystyn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the Transmission or Electrical?

So I am bringing my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (175K) into the shop tomorrow but thought I would pick your brains.

My transmission is behaving oddly. This does not happen frequently, and is unpredictable. Van can be hot or cold or just start driving or have been driving for a while. But sudeenly, it seems when I drop out fo gear around 40mph there is a loud CLUNK and the car jerks, then most times it is totally out of gear till the van slows down a bit. It seems if I diconnect the battery the issue will stop but I do not know if it happens when I simply turn off the van.

The TCM was replace in 2016 (not by me) and I often (like for 2 years but infrequently) get a P1684 error code.

I do not mind replacing the transmission but I am looking for some hope here. I trust my mechanic completely so I am not worried about him screwing me over, but just looking for a way to possibly sleep tonight. Will they be able to diagnose the issue if it is electrical?

Thanks for playing!

Old 11-29-2021, 05:16 PM
Krystyn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO the mechanic called and said the PCM was throwing a bunch of codes and was probably bad. That would cause the weird shifting issue, yes?

Now, the van has 180K on it and he said the transmission fluid was clean, but we were talking about rebuilding the transmission as well, do you think this is a good idea? I have the money right now but I am homeless and live in my van so I need it to work.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Is it the Transmission or Electrical?