Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Newer AGM battery dead….

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 07:50 AM
csonni
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer AGM battery dead….

Relatively new AGM, for a good penny. During our cold stint of minus 18-25 Celsius, I kept the block heater as well as the battery blanket warmer both plugged in. Mind you….I haven’t started the van all during the cold for over nearly 2 weeks. Warmed up to zero C last night and I figured the van would start right up. Totally dead. Remote wouldn’t even unlock the door. Will need to remove the battery and charge it and get it tested. You’d think keeping everything warm like that would have done the trick.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:52 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

The AGM battery is suppose to be better in the cold than the flooded acid battery with block heater and battery blanket it should of started the van easily. Most automotive batteries come with a pro rated warranty bring it back to were you bought have them check it out with a load test.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:14 AM
csonni

I’m now wondering if there is some parasitic draw on the battery. But yes, with no issues, that battery should’ve started the van no problem.
Update: Had the battery tested and the report is that it’s in great health. The CCA’s are better than claimed on the battery label. The shop agreed….if not using the van for a week or more, just disconnect the negative cable. I know that the vents seem to go through continual cycling all the time the van is off. I know this by sleeping in the van on a 4 day excursion. I’m sure that must drain the battery.

Last edited by csonni; 01-21-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:05 PM
csonni

A mechanic told me the Dodge Grand Caravans are known to drain their batteries over a period of time such as mine (3 weeks). He says there’s even something stated in the Dodger manual concerning this. The recommendation is to pull the PCM fuse or the negative battery cable.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Newer AGM battery dead….