Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 GC runs rich with negative fuel trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 11:08 PM
uccoskun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 GC runs rich with negative fuel trim

Hello all:

I bought a 2011 GC with some kind of engine problem. I'm trying to identify it but so far I got confused. The mechanic suggested to the previous owner to replace the engine. It had 1, 3, and 5 misfire codes along with P0300, P0172, P0175, and P000B.
I opened the upper intake and noticed the intake manifold was cleaner around the #3 and #5 injectors, a sign of a leaky injector. I replaced them. The oil is gas smelly but oil level is not too high.
Now, the car runs somewhat funnily for a minute when cold. Then, it starts to idle high and low periodically until it dies. It keeps running if you push the gas pedal. If you wait half a day, it behaves similarly.
Both banks run still rich (P0172 and P0175), and all 4 O2 sensors confirm this (they are all ~0.9V). Fuel trims are all -30. I hear some funny sounds like grinding. I feel like the tops do not get enough oil. Next weekend, I will crank with the top off to confirm I get oil there and do a compression test. I get P0300 multi cyclinder misfire but not specific to 1 3 and 5 now.
I guess the fuel pressure is crazy high and forces the injectors to leak, or maybe there is something I cannot think of.
Do you have any inputs or such experiences? I appreciate any help you can provide. I have another 2011 van, if I need to test some components I can borrow it from the other one.

I will do compression test over the weekend.

TIA

Last edited by uccoskun; 04-10-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:29 PM
uccoskun

I did a comression on my cyclinders. All are around 140-150psi range except #5 which is 0psi. I will remove the head and see what's going on.
has any of you removed the engine while the engine is in?

Old 10-16-2023, 05:18 PM
ManualCarDriver

Originally Posted by uccoskun
Hello all:

I bought a 2011 GC with some kind of engine problem. I'm trying to identify it but so far I got confused. The mechanic suggested to the previous owner to replace the engine. It had 1, 3, and 5 misfire codes along with P0300, P0172, P0175, and P000B.
I opened the upper intake and noticed the intake manifold was cleaner around the #3 and #5 injectors, a sign of a leaky injector. I replaced them. The oil is gas smelly but oil level is not too high.
Now, the car runs somewhat funnily for a minute when cold. Then, it starts to idle high and low periodically until it dies. It keeps running if you push the gas pedal. If you wait half a day, it behaves similarly.
Both banks run still rich (P0172 and P0175), and all 4 O2 sensors confirm this (they are all ~0.9V). Fuel trims are all -30. I hear some funny sounds like grinding. I feel like the tops do not get enough oil. Next weekend, I will crank with the top off to confirm I get oil there and do a compression test. I get P0300 multi cyclinder misfire but not specific to 1 3 and 5 now.
I guess the fuel pressure is crazy high and forces the injectors to leak, or maybe there is something I cannot think of.
Do you have any inputs or such experiences? I appreciate any help you can provide. I have another 2011 van, if I need to test some components I can borrow it from the other one.

I will do compression test over the weekend.

TIA
Were you able to identify what was causing this problem? I have the same issue on my 2013 D GC SXT. 3.6L. I replaced Air Temp Sensor, MAP Sensor, lifters and rocker arms, injectors, spark plugs, one O2 sensor, and it did not help.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:10 PM
uccoskun
Default low compression

I found the compression was zero on #5. It was diagnosed as a burnt valve before I bought it. I tried to removed the head while the engine was in the car, but could not succeded. Finally, I sold the car.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 GC runs rich with negative fuel trim