Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Dodge Caravan hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 04:08 PM
dannykewl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Caravan hard starting

Hi, I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3 gasoline (not Grand Caravan), 88K miles. I bought it used in 2009 with 42K miles, heard it was rental. I put comparatively few miles on it annually. About a month ago, it started getting hard to start. Would sometimes just get a click for 4 tries then would crank. Now that weather is getting warmer, maybe 1 click, or just starts, but I let it run idle for a few minutes each day I don't go anywhere. If I go out, say shopping, and make multiple stops, starts right up each time. Seems cooler temperatures harder to start. I never get that laboring "er-rer-rer-rer-rer" sound, either a click or starts right up. I had the battery/starter/alternator system tested at 2 different AutoZone's, an O'Reilly's, and a Wal-mart auto center, and all checks out good. No check engine light or battery symbol displayed. Battery is going on 2.5 years old, alternator replaced 2 or 3 tears ago, and I don't hear the tell tale signs of a bad alternator such as a whining sound when using power windows or accelerating. Starter may be original as I never had it replaced. Hate to buy a new anything if not that. With my multimeter, battery anywhere from 11.9V to 12.3V cold sitting overnight, and 13.9 to 14.4 when running, and always been around that when running. Tried under load with neighbor starting it, went down to 10.6 for that split second starting. Battery is a Powerfast (made by Interstate) PF-34-8 CCA 800 with 18 month free replacement. I would assume with 800 CCA plenty of power. 11.9 - 12.3V I assume should still be good starting the engine? No longer winter. Only other real problem with the van is an occasional P0457 code which is an evap leak and I erase it with a scanner. Would hope to get some idea before I replace the battery. I have a hunch something draining the battery, but what, even been making sure heater/AC/radio off and nothing plugged into cig lighter port. Does this model have a battery temperature sensor that maybe gone bad? Tempted to get a Priority Start device from Amazon, but that shuts the battery down at 11.7 volts, seems kinda low. Or just a kill switch and hope retain voltage when I shut off car and use switch to kill the battery, but those come with hassles of clock and radio presets gone each time. Thanks for any help. Appreciated.

Update: I bought a new battery on May 24th, and found out yesterday that's not the problem. After the van sat for 2 days, took 3 clicks before it started.

Last edited by dannykewl; 06-05-2023 at 02:20 AM. Reason: To state a new battery didn't help

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 Dodge Caravan hard starting