Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Dodge can’t fix what they broke!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 09:50 AM
tigger3650
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dodge can’t fix what they broke!!

DODGE CAN’T FIX WHAT THEY BROKE!! THIS IS THE LAST CHRYSLER PRODUCT MY FAMILY WILL EVER BUY AND I WILL BE SURE TO MAKE MY FRIENDS AWARE OF THIS SITUATION BEFORE THEY BUY ANY STELLANTIS PRODUCT!! I have a 2008 Grand Caravan with the 4.0L that has an extended cranking issue and had a no crank at all issue. The problem started right after the dealer replaced the motor back in July of 2018. Aside from the plethora of other issues resulting from their work (lines disconnected, hole in the radiator, bent “Y” pipe from setting the engine on the ground and leaving the windows open outside in the rain), the intermittent starting issue started a day or 2 after we got it back. Took it back to Prince Frederick Dodge more times than I can count for the intermittent starting issues. They would keep the van for weeks at a time and state they could never duplicate the issue. During these times my wife was without a vehicle. The starter and fuel pump were both replaced at my cost to try and remedy the issues. Anytime we would take the van in for service (recalls, oil changes) we would mention the cranking issues in case it happened while it was there. Finally, one Saturday, we go to pick it up from getting an oil change and the advisor comes back in from going to get it and said it was doing the extended cranking and that they would look at it on Monday. Several days later I get a call and they want to replace the TIPM ($1,000) based on a Service Bulletin that causes the same condition in other vehicles. “No”, this is not covered under warranty. I tell them (over the phone) to go ahead and replace it, but I wanted the old part, and they said “OK”. I went and picked up the van, but they didn’t give me the part. They said those parts needed to be shipped back for repair, but they would hold on to it for now and make sure the problem was fixed. A day or two later, the starting issue was back. I immediately returned the van to Prince Frederick Dodge and asked for my TIPM back and the $1,000 I paid for the new one. The Service Manager told me they did not have my old TIPM and even if they did, there would be no refunds on installed electrical components. I believe that was the LAST TIME PRINCE FREDERICK DODGE WILL GET ANY OF MY BUISINESS AGAIN!!

Over the next several YEARS both the extended cranking and no crank issues continue. We now use Lexington Park Dodge for our service needs and they have the same answer, “We can’t do anything about it unless we see it do it, and we have to have the computer hooked up to it when it does”. In 2022 we go to pick up the van after an oil change and it won’t crank. FINALLY!! It does it at the dealer. Now, with the no crank issue, it will have this issue multiple times in a row, so I go right back into the service department, and they bring out a tech with their diagnostic computer (the service manager also joins us as he is well aware of the van’s history). (I suspected a neutral safety switch issue from the beginning in 2018). The tech hooks up and looks at the diagnostics before trying to start it. Computer says everything is normal including the signal from the neutral safety switch. He attempts to start the van and it doesn’t crank. I told him to put the van in Neutral, since this always “fixes” the issue. He does this and the van starts right up. The manager, tech and I discuss the issue for a few minutes and the tech wants to look at a grounding issue. We agree and leave the van there for the rest of the week for him to work on in between other vehicles. We get the call to come pick-up the van about a week later. The service manager told us the tech found some “bad looking grounds” along with 1 that wasn’t even attached. They fixed all of those at no charge and said they really didn’t know if that would fix it or not. I will say it didn’t fix it completely, but the no crank issue has only happened a few times since then. We still have the extended cranking issue!!

July 2023, the extended cranking issue happens at least every other time we try to start the van, sometimes to the point the tip-start times out. We take the van to Lexington Park Dodge. I tell them what is happening. The service adviser grabs his OBDII FOB and hooks it up to the van. He tries to start it and it just cranks until it times out. He says well, we finally have it happening here. While getting checked in I see the service manager (is it bad we recognize each other?) He askes how I am doing and what is up with the van. I fill him in a tell him hopefully we find an answer this time. He invites me back to his office and pulls a history on the van and gets the latest diagnostic report from the service advisor. He comes back and says give him a day or 2 for his guys to look at it and collect as much data as they can because they will need to reach out to Stellantis for some engineering assistance. He askes me when I need the van back and my response is “When it is fixed!”. He asks if I have a ride and I told him I would call someone to come get me and tells me that won’t be necessary and sets me up with a service rental. After about a month and a half, they call me up and tell me they can’t figure out the problem and that the engineers won’t help them without any diagnostic data (the computer doesn’t show any errors).

With regards to Lexington Park Dodge, I have no complaints with how they have treated me during this whole process. I understand their position and limitations. This complaint is 100% towards Mopar/ Chrysler/ Stellantis for not supporting their dealerships or standing behind their products. Prince Frederick Dodge on the other hand, will never see any of my business again!!
So, Dodge caused the problem, dodge can’t fix the problem and I am supposed to be stuck with an unreliable vehicle!?!? Is this really how business is supposed to conducted. THIS IS THE LAST CHRYSLER PRODUCT MY FAMILY WILL EVER BUY AND I WILL BE SURE TO MAKE MY FRIENDS AWARE OF THIS SITUATION BEFORE THEY BUY ANY STELLANTIS PRODUCT!!

Old 08-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Ah, so we're spamming every forum with this bullsh!t LMAO? That's at least 3 that I've found.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:54 PM
tigger3650
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Ah, so we're spamming every forum with this bullsh!t LMAO? That's at least 3 that I've found.
Ahh, yes we are!! The goal was to get either get e response from the corporate folks or someone with an idea (that hasn't been tried) on actually fixing this. None of which you have provided neither. So please, run along now.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Dodge can’t fix what they broke!!