Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Blend Door actuator linkages

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 02:44 PM
EDN2012
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Blend Door actuator linkages

(2012 Dodge Grand Caravan): Blend door actuator(s) linkages came apart when I was trying to figure out why I had no heat on passenger side (noted one linkage arm flopping around). Does anyone have a good side-on picture (from passenger side) of the linkage, connection points, etc. or a schematic that shows the real linkages? I can't find anything that specific at Dodge in a repair manual, or about a 100 links and searches I've done. I can of course by the entire Distribution Housing (with actuators and linkages), but would like to see if I put the linkage back together without taking the entire dash apart.

On that note, can anyone tell me how to remove the passenger lower dash panel (beneath the lower glove box)? I have the right side and center free, but it appears the left side is either secured with screws (hidden behind the controls panel or the floor mount center console), or it's clipped in and I'm not sure where to pry.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:56 AM
Vanpa
Default Did you find a diagram?

Im having the same problem.
The lower panel on mine was secured by 3 xmas trees, just pry out as close to the tree as possible.
I also took the upper glove box out which helps me see the linkages, at least the outer, white linkage. I still don't know where the black linkage goes, or how they line up with the round driver piece (that is clearly driven by the actuator).
Thx

Old 03-29-2024, 10:25 AM
Vanpa

Problem Solved.
I had the same problem after following the YouTube video posted by QuiteAlright about accessing the "Passenger Blend Door Actuator" which, by now you know is the Mode Door, not Blend. If you freeze frame that at about 5:47 there is a very brief snapshot of those parts in place when he first rotates the cover plate + actuator out of the way. Put the small white arm in 1st with the slot going over the nearest lever arm as shown and there will be only 1 place to pivot. Then put the drive hub (black round piece) in on the lower post (the one that lines it up with the actuator drive when back in place). Position it exactly as shown (don't worry that the actuator has a missing tooth, I believe that is for factory alignment in the home position, it will engage properly). Make sure the "pin" on the white lever engages with the interfacing slot on the drive hub.

Next, and trickiest, you need to position the long black lever over its post, with the arm extending to the front of the vehicle and slightly up. I needed to borrow my son in law at this point because he is skinny and has smaller hands. I held the lever in place on its post and with the drive pin engaged in its slot on the drive hub while reaching around from the driver's seat, while he layed on his back and reached up and rotated the pivoting piece you see on the end up and into a hole in the HVAC case that I believe is the drive for the defroster door (could be wrong on that, I did not spend too much time sorting out which door did what). This hole is a PITA to find and I used an Endoscope to put "eyes" on it. The best way I could describe where it is at is just before you get to the actual blend door actuator which you can see looking up. You barely see the hole but if you extend the long arm up along what is clearly a clearance path moulded into the ductwork, and then rotate that small end lever mostly up with the engaging rectangular piece facing the drivers side you should be right on it. Push it until you hear it click in and don't let go of the base until you confirm it is in or the whole assembly will disassemble on you just like it did in the first place. Even snapped in it is not ultra secure. Once you confirm all of the drive pins/stubs are still engaged, your assy should look like the picture shown and you can rotate the cover plate back in position and re-engage the actuator and put the screws back in.

A few notes: The flat spot on the actuator drive gear should be lined up with the arrow on the housing (usually it is, but if you tested the actuator then you have to recenter it). I removed the top glove box for line of sight access, I don't think it was necessary but was not too difficult. I also removed the blower motor harness and pulled one pin on the major wire harness for access and replaced them. Don't think that is mandatory but it helped me. We did not need to recalibrate and after a few seconds we could cycle thru defrost/body/floor vents with no problem.

My apologies if the pics don't upload very well, my first time posting on here... I will revisit it later and try to correct as possible.

Linkages before the came apart

Long black arm (for defrost?)

Slot that receives end of black arm

Final assy before replacing cover

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Blend Door actuator linkages