Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

power outlet/cig. lighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 AM
mudskipper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power outlet/cig. lighter

GreaseAngel, you might also want to check to seeif your charger have a fuse and if it's blown.
Some such devices may have afuse inside thesection that plugs into the 12V socket and that end can be screwed off to reveal the fuse. Just looking at fuses can be deceiving. Some blown fuses can be seen easily as blown but not for others.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

AHHH i got u what are looking at what it's called is a PTC fuse and intergrated fuse inside the IPM.
But that 13 amp PTC is the control fuse for the Accessory relay control. U only have the radio and cig light out if that fuse was damaged then nothing inside your van would work like floor console light,Front and rear washer pump,Windows,Front and rear power outlet,if u have power sliding door the b piller switch,Window deicer,and rear wiper. so back to the stuff i said b4. based on what u say about the fuses u have an ipm issue,connector at the ipm issue,wire issue or a c 200 connector issue.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
calmazan

I am sorry for ride in this post but i got the same problem
i have a 2006 grand caravan still under warranty and the front cig lighter outlet doesnt work however radioand rear cig lighter works ok.
i check the fuses and all are ok,
can i get some help with this issue?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Yeah, there is a fuse in one of the chargers as well as my cooler. I checked them and they're fine. I tried my charger in my moms car and it works fine. We've tried everything, the dvd player, cooler, and various chargers and none of the power outlets work. Radio and cd player still work just fine. Am I probably looking at a wiring issue with that power outlet getting pushed back like that? I've checked all fuses that would seem to be connected with it, and they're all fine.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

grab a test light touch the back of the power outlet the little spot in the middle if u get power then thats fine. Attach the test light to a power source and then touch the side of the cig lighter base if thats good then u have a bad base or the power outlet u are using does not work ne more.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 PM
mudskipper

GreaseAngel, from what you've mentioned and checked out so far, I'm guessing that your front cig lighter has an earth contact problem. Specifically, the side of the cig lighter has lost contact or no contact with the body of your vehicle.In your earlier post you mentioned that the plastic ring fell off and the outlet was pushed behind the hole but it still worked fine.Guess it was hanging "by a thread" and that's why it worked. Some days later, movements and normal vibrations from van loosened the final "slender" contact and so power is gone now.
There is also a chance that the earth connectionmay begood but the "positive" - haven't really checked whether it's positiveor negative ground -but anyways, as Dodge Tech puts itthe "little spot in the middle" at the very end of the inside barrel of the outlet, may have a broken or damaged cable/connector to it.
In short, like you said, likely a wiring issue due to the outlet having been pushed back before. And the "wire" could be just a screw holding the cig outlet before it was pushed back.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
mudskipper

Calmazan, if I were you and my van is still under warranty, why would I want to mess with it, and maybe cause some or more problems and then maybe void the warranty in the process? The dealership havemore andproper tools and equipment and they should be able to handle it better. Just my 2-bit.
Just some input, I tested 3 dealerships on their knowledge about when to changethe air-con cabin filter and they know all about it now. But way back in 2002 and 2003, when these filters were just being put into their vehicles, they were just fully unaware that such filters existed even tho' theyare mentioned in the Owner's Manual!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

to go along with what u just said man it sucks some times when a new thing comes out or chnages are made half way through the year on some stuff and we never know untill a prob shows up. New stuff we get Master Techs but that is about it on new car highlights.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 AM
garrettl

I'm having the same problem with my 2005 Caravan. No (or too little) power to my outlets, and no radio. Everything else is fine. A breaker or fuse must have been blown. I bought an ac inverter to play videos on the laptop for an upcoming trip. Started the car, watched about five minutes of a movie, and it worked great. Turned the power off to the inverter, turned the ignition off, went on my verry way. Came back an hour later to bring the kids to Mc Donalds and show them the set up for the upcoming trip, and the alert on the inverter went off signifying low voltage. Looked at the radio, no time on the clock. Turned the radio on, no power. Looked at the fuses, couldn't find an accessory fuse. Looked at the manual, and it gave me the same spiel: The Heated Mirrors, Lower instrment Panel Power Outlet...are fused with self resetting fuses that are only servicable by an authorized dealer.

So, of course this happens on a Friday night before we leave on Sunday, and thus will be making a 8 hour trip with no radio and no possibility for showing videos to the kids. Thanks, Daimler Chrysler. This is my first issue with the car. The silver lining is that the engine didn't blow up. However, something as simple as a fuse should able to be taken care of by an owner with enough brain wattage to light a 40 watt bulb.

If someone can just tell me where this relay or breaker or whatever is, I can probably figure it out and have a happy trip. I have four kids under the age of 5, and while they are good for a couple of hours, 8 hours is a long time without something like a DVD or even a CD!

Garrett

Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

fuse 5 20amp under hood. Its not chryslers fault that a fuse blew u have something that is drawing more then 20 amps of power thats what caused the issue u have. if u want to use the inverter i would just use the rear one that why u have the full 20 amps of power unlke the front one that shares the power with the radio.

Quick Reply: power outlet/cig. lighter