Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1994 Dodge Caravan 3.8L - hitches low rpm, then no overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM
CaravanSnowdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge Caravan 3.8L - hitches low rpm, then no overdrive

Hey guys. I am a regular contributor to the Ford Probe forums, but this is my wife's van.

Love the van. It has 180k miles but was owned previously by a mechanic so it runs like a top, normally....

Right now intermittently when taking off from a start at around 5-10 mph there is kind of a hitch in the rpms/momentum of the vehicle. The MPG gauge will drop to zero (even though we are still accelerating), then kinda go a bit wild up and down like zero to 30 mph and then eventually settle back to accurate speed within about 3 or 4 seconds. When this happens it will not shift into overdrive. We get up to about 50 mph at 4k rpm roughly. Each time this has happened, I have pulled over, turned off the a/c and ignition, pulled out key, and after a couple seconds started the vehicle again. After we restart vehicle, the problem is gone again. We have noted no error lights when this happens.

Seems very strange. I was originally thinking transmission or ECU, but after reading some on the board here and using a bit of google foo, I have been seeing a lot of talk about the TCM and EATX and solenoids??

Any ideas would be helpful. The odometer is not digital so cant get the codes from turning key to accessory 3x.

I am willing to take it into a shop but wanted some more knowledge first, so they don't just tell me I need a new transmission when it could be something much less.

Not sure if it matters but it is the 10 year anniversary model.

Last edited by CaravanSnowdog; 06-12-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: no error lights
Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
In 1994 the TCM and PCM did not share the ck engine lite, like the 1996 and newer. If there was a transmission problem, there was a scanner to hook up on the TCM connector. This was how to pull codes out of the transmission module. What you can do is replace the input and output sensors for now and see how it shifts or take it to a shop that has the scanner to check the transmission.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM
CaravanSnowdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was the input and output sensors causing the problem

I found the input and output sensors at the Dodge Dealer for I think about $50. Replaced both sensors and problem solved. The sensors are very easy to replace also. Almost just a twist and pull.

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge Caravan 3.8L - hitches low rpm, then no overdrive