Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Kolhoznik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual tranny?

If you don't do a write-up I'll steal your centercaps and paint them neon green...

Old 08-29-2006, 12:01 PM
minivanin
Professional

hmm, neon green goes with dark blue...lol

oh definetly, i'll doucument it, since it'll be the first one (hopefully)

oh & now the plan will be the lowest milage 3.3 i can find in the junkyard, then install one of my volvo turbos behind it (kinda hide it) & just drive it like that until i can afford to build my original motor into the 270horse 3.6, but i might change that plan by the time i'm ready to build who knows....

i think the biggest issue will be finding a wrecked van that was a 4cyl, 5 speed for the pedal assembly

ohwell, thats my winter project

& there be prolly dozens of videos shot with in the first week of driving it too

-greg

tho on second thought that won't be too hard, i'll get a set from europe, alot of the vans over there are turbo diesel 5 speeds, its kinda neat that there is a intercooler part number for the 2nd & 3rd gen caravans, lol

Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Kolhoznik

anything here?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Maybe you all should hop onto the united kingdoms version of ebay. Something like www.ebay.co.uk Their minivans have diesel engines and manual transmisions. Maybe you could get one shipped overhere, they don't weigh a ton like an automatic.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
minivanin
Professional

that transmission won't bolt up & work, they have a 2.5L 5 cylinder turbo diesel, which is way longer to begin with, & i doubt the trans would like a hard beating

the only thing i would want from the Euro-vans are the E-code headlights, since they have better optics, & use an H4 bulb

-greg

Old 02-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Kolhoznik

My and my usual question...any progress here?

Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM
minivanin
Professional

nah, actully i got rid of my van about a month ago, fully striped it, & sent her to the garage in the sky

i plan to get another '94 or '95 3.3 again....just a question of when, & i'm thinking of actully getting a base model shorty 4cyl van, & then convert it to a 3.3 & a stratus2.7L trans while running a standalone EFI, i want to come out swinging & taking names

I have so much pent up energy to build another van, with the knowledge i have now

Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 PM
minivanin
Professional

BTW i should mention, someone finally did the 3.8 bottom end swap into a 3.3, making a 3.6 stroker, a bud of mine who has a 1st gen Intrepid, using stock 3.3 pistons...the compression is super low, i think he said like 7.7:1, but its fine hes planning on inflating it soon anyways

even with that very low compression, he reports a noticeable increase in acceleration compared to before, & with a combustion chamber technique i shared to him that i learned about...it sounds wicked

Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Kolhoznik

I'm actually planning to use a 3.3 in a sandrail...but a boosted 3.6 sandrail sounds sweet...was it a direct swap?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Caravan01

well there is a manual trany out there cause someone on at my school *I got a ride to wrestling practice last year* and I used to be all into the turbo early 90's and thought it was one but he said no it was a 92 3.0 I believe *could've been 3.3 but prety sure it was a 3.0* manual though. I love the minivan enthusaists! I'd say for all you guys going through the tranys get a 2000 caravan the tranys are great my freinds and I have those *me and 2 other guys* and we never ****edup trany yet and I'm known to drop tranys like F**k I droped 4 in my plymouth breeze and 3 in my toyota camry Nick

Quick Reply: Manual tranny?