Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

What should I expect to pay...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 PM
greaseangel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I expect to pay...

...for a new air conditioner compressor for my 97 3.0? Is that a part I can legally pull from another van and do myself? I've tried to read up on it, but it sounds like I'd have to take it to a properly licensed repair shop. These Arkansas summers are about to kill me with no air conditioner. How do I know it's actually the compressor? The guy I bought this van from a long time ago told me the compressor was shot, and that he disconnected something "down there" (pointing to the passenger side front, near radiator) so that the heater would work in the winter. I don't see anything obviously disconnected, and don't know enough about the a/c system to know what I'm looking at. Can anyone help me?

Old 07-13-2006, 06:15 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What should I expect to pay...

Depending on where you purchase, $220-400 for a new-to-you (remanufactured) or brand new. If given the option for one with or without a compressor clutch, I would choose WITH the clutch.
As far as the legality, I would not see a problem. It is R-134a, not the R-12 that normal people can't purchase.
As far as actual system diagnosis, that can be tricky. It involves using refrigerant pressure gauges to see the pressure on 2 differant parts of the system (which can help determine specific items that are bad). Also, there has be be a certain amount of refrigerant, and a certain amount of special refrigerant oil. Too little oil or refirgerant can cause system damage, too much of each can also cause damage.
The easiet answer: move out of Arkansas, seriously, who would want to live here anyways? Just kidding (I'm stationed here at Little Rock AFB, and, man, is it HOT! I gotta get my A/C fixed too!)
But serisouly, just look for any obviously loose wires, go to WalMart (or an autoparts store) and buy yourself a "recharge it yourself" refrigerant thing. Follow the instructions on the can, and, if that doesn't work, as sorry as I am to say it, take it to a mechanic to at least have it diagnosed so you know what needs to be replaced.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Well, seing as how you're only 50 miles from me, how 'bout I grab the kit and head your way and let you do it LOL! I did call the guy this morning, and he said he knew it was the compressor because it whined and grinded when he turned on the a/c. Sound about right?

Old 07-13-2006, 03:20 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

If the systems been inoperative for a while and you are going to change the compressor, try and get rid of as much of the oil in the old system as possible. You might might want to change your condensor as this will clean up the system and check the expansion valve too. Hope you can get it running well quickly. I understand those DIY kits for charging the system are not too bad to do (i havn't done one yet myself, but will be within the next month).

Quick Reply: What should I expect to pay...