Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Caravan Downshift Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
aforstie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Caravan Downshift Problem?

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with just over 40,000 miles that seems to be downshifting hard. When I am going at real low speeds and it downshifts it does not do so smotthly. It pretty much only happends when the RPMs are around 1500 and after the downshift they drop to 1000. A typical situation where this may occur is in a parking lot, on a street with speed bumps, or in heavy traffic. Under more normal driving conditions it seems to upshift and downshift fine. Is this an indication that the transmission may not be in the best shape, or is it simply time to do the transmission flush service. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:56 AM
jpistos
Default RE: 2005 Caravan Downshift Problem?

If you haven't changed the transmission fluid, start with that. I've recently aquired a 96 and from what I've read on this forum, Caravan transmissions are not very reliable. Having good clean trans fluid should help maximize tranny life. I would at least halve the service interval. I plan to change the fluid on mine yearly, it's actually pretty easy to do.
Also note that once you do change the fluid it may take a few weeks for things to sort out, that's what happened on our van. There's a few other posts on this web site with lots more detailed info on this.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
nirad

I had the same problem with my 03 grand caravan. They had to change a shifting module, I think it was called. Fixed the problem.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:50 PM
jpistos

Also replaced the battery soon after, and it's shifting ok.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
fperezal

how much for the darn shifting module?

Quick Reply: 2005 Caravan Downshift Problem?