Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Hard downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:40 AM
jimmar_56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard downshifting

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyc with about 34,000 miles. For the past few days, when you are slowing down and coming to a stop, at about 30mph, you feel the van jerk coming from the transmission. Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2006, 06:56 PM
nirad
Default RE: Hard downshifting

Had the same problem. They had to replace the electronic shifting module. Fixed the problem and was covered under warrenty.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Fabion

Go get a transmission filter put in. The mechanic that told you you don't need it is a moron! They hate changing transmission filters because it's messy and doesn't pay them much on the job because they work on commission! They probably will try to sell you a flush instead. What's the point of flushing out old fluid through a dirty filter and putting new fluid in through a dirty filter? And don't let a mechanic tell you that a flush back flushes the filter so it doesn't need to be changed. I've heard alot of moron mechanics say that and they are wrong. If you get a flush, get the flush and still have them change the filter too. The only other thing I would do if that doesn't work and I think it will,Is get some one to check that the torque converter hasn't come loose on flywheel.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 AM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by Fabion
Go get a transmission filter put in. The mechanic that told you you don't need it is a moron! They hate changing transmission filters because it's messy and doesn't pay them much on the job because they work on commission! They probably will try to sell you a flush instead. What's the point of flushing out old fluid through a dirty filter and putting new fluid in through a dirty filter? And don't let a mechanic tell you that a flush back flushes the filter so it doesn't need to be changed. I've heard alot of moron mechanics say that and they are wrong. If you get a flush, get the flush and still have them change the filter too. The only other thing I would do if that doesn't work and I think it will,Is get some one to check that the torque converter hasn't come loose on flywheel.

huh?

I'm going to guess the "electronic shifting module" is the TCM?

as for the jerk when slowing down, you need to have more in-depth diagnosis as to know what gear is the culpret.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

jimmar
Welcome to DF
The electronic module could also be the solenoid pack.I believe there is a flash for your harsh down shift.

Quick Reply: Hard downshifting