Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Towing 3000lb popup. '01 T&C 3.8l help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:02 PM
babybober
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing 3000lb popup. '01 T&C 3.8l help!

All:
I am trying to find out details of what I need to add to my 2001 T&C LXi. It has the 3.8l engine but NO towing package. With the towing package I know the rating is 3500 (or 3800 depending on who you talk to). Without it it is 2000lbs. The question I have is what do I need to add to my vehicle. In looking up the origional option I see the towing package added the wiring harness (no big deal), Rear suspension leveling (I plan to put in a set of Timbren rubber springs to help there)and the HD tranny/Oil/Rad cooler. In looking at the vehicle it does have a tranny cooler already but I am guessing they beef that up? So is all that I need is a second Tranny cooler (aftermarket)? If so do I intall before or after the factory one or do I bypass the factory unit?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: Towing 3000lb popup. '01 T&C 3.8l help!

Add a hitch and enjoy.
Having the trany cooler would be number 1. Rest of the items you have covered well. Don't let trany hunt for gearing or tourqe connverter locking and unlocking.
The only true test to a trany cooler would be adding a temp gauge.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:06 AM
dirtmover
Amateur

The factory cooler is tiny. I justremoved it completely and put in a bigger one.

Your hitch will need to be class 3 since you'll need weight distribution.

I'm using roadmaster active suspension http://www.activesuspension.com/which does a reasonable job of holding the back end up.

Now, tow ratings are based on the vehicle and driver only. You should derate this by the weight of any additional passengers, luggage and supplies. It's surprising howquickly these add up! So, unless you're planning on going it alone, highly unlikely with a PUT that size, I'd suggest that you are going to be over the limit for the van. Do the math and decide for yourself.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 AM
babybober

Thanks for the reply. Yea I am thinking I need to add a tranny cooler. The question then is, do I add or bypass. I was thinking add with a plate cooler like B&M where it has a low temp bypass. Regarding weight, correct me if my logic is wrong. 8600lbs GCVW less 3200 GVW trailer weight equaly 5400lbs. T&C GAVW (actual) is around 4300 if I remember correctly so I have 1100 lbs to play with inside the vehical.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

I agree with BN. 3000lbs behind you and a chrysler a604 tranny, don't let it hunt for gears. Place the shifter on 3 and not on drive. In upstate NY you won't want the overdrive for much of your towing on hills and such. If you don't have aux/rear a/c there is room for a reasonably good size cooler in front of the condensor,16"high by 20"long is what I recall will work(and yes they make a fucillo "HUGE" difference in tranny temp). I wouldn't worry about the low temp bypass, have it flowing all the time. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
wireman

I tow a 1500lb popup and added the following:
trailer brakes
tranny cooler
airlift to raise the rear (that is the brand name) tried timbren on my explorer didn't like them they made the ride rough and never seemed to lift the rear enough
wiring
class 3 hidden hitch
I tow in the 3 range

Quick Reply: Towing 3000lb popup. '01 T&C 3.8l help!