Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Loose ground wire preventing car from starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:29 PM
RT12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose ground wire preventing car from starting

A while back my car was having an issue where it would randomly not start. No crank, but my lights would still work. I took it to the dealership after slamming the hood got it to start, and they fixed it for $150 or so and said it was a loose ground wire. Fast forward 2 months later, and it's happening again. I don't want to pay another $150 if it's something as simple as a loose wire. I checked under the hood as well as the battery and can't find a loose ground wire anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what ground wire could cause this? It is a 2012 Challenger RT.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

start at the starter relay...put your hand on the relay; listen and feel for a click sound of the relay energizing when someone turns the key to start. if that is good...continue to the starter solenoid....you should hear a single click when it engages.

Last edited by primem; 06-17-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-17-2018, 06:36 PM
RT12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply! I will try that out tomorrow. I do hear a click when the start button is pushed, and almost a slight winding sound, but no start. The only thing I haven't checked so far is any connections to the starter. I replaced the starter solenoid fuse in the fuse box last time this happened, but no luck. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Loose ground wire preventing car from starting