Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

Risking lives to save a $BUCK$

Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 PM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Risking lives to save a $BUCK$

Just received the recall notice for the passenger side airbag in my mail box. Not real surprised to be getting the recall, considering a year ago I was in contact with FCA about the passenger side air bag.
At that time FCA informed me there was no known issue with the passenger side airbag, even though the TAKATA airbag fiasco was all over the news and this site. To save a $buck$ FCA made a choice to ignore
the passenger side airbag problem, knowing full well there was a problem with the airbag. I digress.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Are they actually Takata air bags??? Recently, I saw where another company that makes them was running into the same issue......

Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM
usmc1811
Veteran

2010 Challenger R/T, you tell me.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by usmc1811
2010 Challenger R/T, you tell me.
2008-10 are also part of the recall, so, apparently, the answer is "Yes".

Old 03-01-2019, 12:04 PM
usmc1811
Veteran

And you would be correct.
Glad I had no accidents during the last year while having my family and friends riding shotgun.

Am I pissed off? DAMN right, I am PISSED OFF!

Old 03-01-2019, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

This is one of those things where an engineer has a 'great idea' to save a few bucks, and it gets implemented. It isn't until after it has aged nicely that the issues start to show up. Basically, it boils down to poor testing...... The products are ostensibly 'certified'..... and FCA just buys them, expecting them to behave as advertised. When they don't..... Folks take a beatin'.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 PM
usmc1811
Veteran

It's not the original design of the airbags or even the source/manufacturer of the airbags that is/was the problem. It's the fact that FCA knew there was an issue with the airbags, the data and info. was already out there for all to see and know. FCA made a choice to ignore all of that data and then made a decision to play "Russian Roulette" with our lives. Even after me questioning FCA and then provided the data that was out there showing the airbags were a problem. FCA still said there was no problem or issues with the airbags. That's my beef with FCA.

And the only thing I can think of that would make FCA play games (so to speak) with owners and or customers lives.....IS MONEY.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by usmc1811
It's not the original design of the airbags or even the source/manufacturer of the airbags that is/was the problem. It's the fact that FCA knew there was an issue with the airbags, the data and info. was already out there for all to see and know. FCA made a choice to ignore all of that data and then made a decision to play "Russian Roulette" with our lives. Even after me questioning FCA and then provided the data that was out there showing the airbags were a problem. FCA still said there was no problem or issues with the airbags. That's my beef with FCA.

And the only thing I can think of that would make FCA play games (so to speak) with owners and or customers lives.....IS MONEY.
Of course it all boils down to money. Likely no one was suing FCA for injuries due to a passenger side airbag as yet...... even though it was the same system, from the same company, using the same process to inflate the bag. Logic would tell you that they were going to be a problem as well..... But, some manager saw his year end bonus shrinking because of it, so, didn't want to do the "Right Thing™", and keep the money in his pocket. Nothing new under the sun there. ALL the major manufacturers have been guilty of that at one time or another.....

Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

fca and every manufacturer that used takada products are waiting for replacement parts.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM
usmc1811
Veteran

So are you trying to say there is only one source/manufacture (Takata) for airbags. Or, are you saying the other makers of airbags are trying to catch up on the new demand for replacing the defective Takata airbags for all brands of vehicles, including FCA vehicles. Which is why FCA did nothing, because FCA was/were waiting for the replacement airbags to be made.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Risking lives to save a $BUCK$