Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

09 Challenger SRT, alternator, electrical ground issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 AM
JamieandMandy Darty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Challenger SRT, alternator, electrical ground issues

Any information provided is encouraged and appreciated.
I purchased my 09 SRT, used about 5 years ago . Up until a yr to a yr and a half ago it had been issue free.
My first issue was with the battery going bad .It was the original factory battery, as far as I know, therefore I didn't give it to much thought, purchased a new one and everything's been great up until 2 days ago .
I went out to the car and the battery was dead .I knew I hadn't left anything on, but jumped it off and drove approximately 5 miles and of course it wouldn't start back up .I finally got it started and got the car home. We put a new battery on it and everything seemed fine . I ran to the store, about 10 miles round trip and parked the car for about 6 hours.
Then it was time to get my boys from school. The bus stop is approximately 4 miles from my house .About 2 miles into my trip the ESP light came on, speedometer went to 0, the ABS light came on, but when I accelerated, they went off .Alternator I figured.
My knight I shining armor brought a new battery, which we put on the car, but it wouldn't start, then my alternator began smoking, and I'm not talking g a little bit. Had I not immediately disconnected the battery it would have caught fire .
Now here's my question. In my research, I've seen where the 2014 modles have been recalled for this EXACT PROBLEM .So why has my car done the same thing to textbook, but I'm supposed to foot the $400-$700 repair bill. BULL CRAP!!
ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Old 03-13-2019, 07:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Could be many reasons why your alternator took a dump. Alternators are around $150-200 from parts stores. Yours is 10 years old. Things do fail.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:53 PM
guapoman2000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamieandMandy Darty
Any information provided is encouraged and appreciated.
I purchased my 09 SRT, used about 5 years ago . Up until a yr to a yr and a half ago it had been issue free.
My first issue was with the battery going bad .It was the original factory battery, as far as I know, therefore I didn't give it to much thought, purchased a new one and everything's been great up until 2 days ago .
I went out to the car and the battery was dead .I knew I hadn't left anything on, but jumped it off and drove approximately 5 miles and of course it wouldn't start back up .I finally got it started and got the car home. We put a new battery on it and everything seemed fine . I ran to the store, about 10 miles round trip and parked the car for about 6 hours.
Then it was time to get my boys from school. The bus stop is approximately 4 miles from my house .About 2 miles into my trip the ESP light came on, speedometer went to 0, the ABS light came on, but when I accelerated, they went off .Alternator I figured.
My knight I shining armor brought a new battery, which we put on the car, but it wouldn't start, then my alternator began smoking, and I'm not talking g a little bit. Had I not immediately disconnected the battery it would have caught fire .
Now here's my question. In my research, I've seen where the 2014 modles have been recalled for this EXACT PROBLEM .So why has my car done the same thing to textbook, but I'm supposed to foot the $400-$700 repair bill. BULL CRAP!!
ANY SUGGESTIONS???
So Sorry to learn of your issues!

Perhaps take a read over here and notice Post #7.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...issues-432393/

Quick Reply: 09 Challenger SRT, alternator, electrical ground issues