Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

From a Chevy guy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:07 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: From a Chevy guy....

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

I agree they blew it big time with the GTO initially, however it's no different then DCX's bomb of the Charger. There are people that like both cars, but there just isnt the great reception that everyone was expecting. Both have great performance, but the looks are what really is killing everyone from buying one.

speak for yourself. the charger is selling just fine. it sold 7,137 in December which is approximately 2.5 times more then the magnum. the charger keeps selling more month after month.

I wasnt saying that it wouldnt sell well, just saying that the main reason it and the GTO arent reaping in sales is because people are DISAPPOINTED with the looks....I'm not bad-mouthing the Charger or GTO, just the market DCX and GM were hoping to get from the older crowds arent materializing. That said, they'll both pick up sales with the returns of the Challenger and Camaro.

Let me ask you this nicko, if the Challenger had debuted first...giving it the retro look like it did....and then DCX brought out this version of the Charger....do you really think it would sell like it has? I dont....because the retro appeal of the Challenger is so overwhelming that even I, a retro Camaro head, would love to own one. The fact is, there are lots of buyers who were turned off based on looks alone....both the GTO and the Charger are awesome vehicles, just lacking something that appeals to the old schoolers.

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the Charger sales are by younger people of the age of 32 and younger....most of which arent even diehard MOPAR heads...not saying all....but I'll say...60%

Old 01-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right, it's people under 35, that are probably buying the Charger, but it isn't because of the looks that the older people aren't buying. It's because they can't get the fact out of their head, that a 4-door sedan, is called the Charger. It's named after their beloved coupe of the 60's and 70's and they can't stand it. It's just a name. If it was called anything else, there would be no whining...

Old 01-11-2006, 09:55 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

You're right, it's people under 35, that are probably buying the Charger, but it isn't because of the looks that the older people aren't buying. It's because they can't get the fact out of their head, that a 4-door sedan, is called the Charger. It's named after their beloved coupe of the 60's and 70's and they can't stand it. It's just a name. If it was called anything else, there would be no whining...
I dont know that there wouldnt be any whining in regards to the Charger if it wasnt named the Charger, but I agree there wouldnt be anywhere near as much as there currently is.

I could have seen this car being named the Intrepid or the Avenger alot faster then I could have chosen the Charger...

Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

I dont know that there wouldnt be any whining in regards to the Charger if it wasnt named the Charger, but I agree there wouldnt be anywhere near as much as there currently is.

I could have seen this car being named the Intrepid or the Avenger alot faster then I could have chosen the Charger...

i kind of wished they would of named it the intrepid.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

...Well, it is pretty safe to say that they won't be making a Stage 1 out of the Buick Lucerne any time soon anyway...dang it.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:19 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many GM and Ford diehards that after I show them pics of the Challenger say that if it comes out they will get one.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 PM
LakeErieFish
Rookie

GM blew it with the GTO, I was even hoping it would be a spin-off from it's past...not just a name.

The new GTO kind of reminds me of the discontinued Dodge Avenger....

I still can't believe GM cut the Camero & Firebird models a few years ago...Great American Cars

[IMG]local://upfiles/25861/9041CFBFB98A41BF9D8C354477AAC599.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: From a Chevy guy....