Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Now that Daimler has sold Chrysler....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Midnight Blue
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Now that Daimler has sold Chrysler....

I tend to be an optimistic pessimist so I'm hoping that the "new" Chrysler will be able to get back to building cars for the American tastes - not some European idea of what they want Americans to want. There will be some chaos as things restructure but I'm hoping things will come out better. The pre-Daimler cars were definitely on the right track. My wife's 300m is a good example. The traction control didn't take away the throttle so let you could power through snow drifts with minimal wheel spin, the suspension is every bit as good as the Daimler products. There paint quality is better - there are no unpainted areas around the visible body joints like the door jams and the gas door area. There was even a Hemi powered rear wheel drive concept car based on this body that had the Mopar fans drooling and asking when. Hopefully, under new management, my "m" will not be the end of the line for the letter cars.

As far as the parts from the mb line being a plus, a lot of the mods in this forum have to do with removing or disabling them.

As an ex Jeep owner, I have been disheartened with the direction that Daimler took one of the few marques that have almost continuously operated in the black since their inception at Bantam. Daimler killed Plymouth because it had similar models to Dodge and Chrysler but look at the duplicity of Jeep models. 4-door Wrangler. What's with that? If I needed a 4-door station wagon, I'd buy a Cherokee (I did as a matter of fact). If I needed a small versatile vehicle for work or off road play, I'd get a Wrangler (or in my case a CJ). Jeep was never marketed as a soccer mom SUV (Silly Upscale Vehicle) until Daimler entered the picture. I have a repro owner's manual from the Universal series (CJ) that shows options included a PTO, draw bar and even a 2-row plow. Try to order one of those from mb! The ads used to show various Jeep vehicles driving along ungroomed trails without rooster tails of dirt or crashing into the surrounding environment and proudly proclaimed their support of the "Tread Lightly" program for off road recreation. These days we get a bunch of bobble heads cruising the avenue with the stereo cranked.

I guess it's wait and see time.

Have a good and safe Memorial Holiday. Please remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice defending us.

Redbeard

Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 AM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

It's not the vehicles causing the finacial problems, its what the unions got them to pony up for benifits. The medical program alone was a deficit of 19 billion dollors. Thats why the division sold for only 7.8 billion. I have no problem with worker getting benifits but when do you draw the line. Pretty sad when a lobby (union reps) can crush large corp.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
sumtermedic

i'll tell you all somthing. I could care less what the big three four five six or what ever the **** it is now do as long as they build a better america. Buy american and build america.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
sumtermedic

i get iratated when we stop worrying about whats in the countries best intrest. Why are we the worlds police when we can,t even take care of our own..I say bring our kids ,fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters,and uncles.home.

Just getting nuts again, thats a nasty little soap box.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

I am one that sincerely appreciated the europeon features that Daimler brought to the Chrysler/Dodge family of vehicles. I did however notice early, the detune done on the potentials of these units. I expect much of it was for environmental and liability reasons. I seriously doubt that primary consideration will change with the ownership. Its the nature of business to be conservative.

As for whatMY crystal ball show...

Sedans will remain the mainstay of the car company's offering. The modern family and the demands on the soccor moms and weekend fathers will dictate the course & options of the company.

I seriously doubt the 4,000 lb +, non-turbo.. muscle car genre will lastanyfurther than through current projected releases. The cost of tooling up for recent years and near-term releases, will likely be closing days of the muscle/gearhead reinvention. I expect the quick return to midsize to subcompact units, & focus on considerationsdirected twardsthe green-nicks & submiddle class family budgets.

Its only due to the 'past' widening middle-class and perceived affluency that the SUV, Monster Truck and Muscle Cars have had their day in the sun. The burden on lowmiddle and lower class family's budgets due to enflation and fuel costs, will certainly exclude a large portion of the market previously willing to be less fruegal for the sake of nestalgia and projected affluence. Big buisness will surely take note of this lost potential market, adjusting the company focus & offering.

Lastly the crystal ball shows..

Organized union rank & file will decry any meaningful concessions, refuting any consideration of best business practices and demanding the continued support of their rediculous compensation levels. This willforce further departures from dependable craftsmanship & materials.Next willrequireChrysler executives to suffer the decisions of economics and a strangled market, over product quality and inovation. Anyone want to place a bet on how that decision will shake out ??

Prepare for it my friends. Remember fondly the excitement of the turn of the century & your ownership of the 21st century muscle car. We're headed right back to 1979, where fuel was in short supply & too expensive to waste, & where home ownership was segregated to the top 40% of americans and the automotive landscape was a depressing as an abandoned factory.

We remember when..though corporate selfishness and economic reality required we abandon nestalgia to meet the demands of the family business.

I thinks someone should burn this soap-box.

Be careful out there.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
srteatr
Professional

I think what has done Chrysler in has to do with how many cars they offer. If you want a Chrysler you have really only one choice for a few years. The 300 with a V-6 or a Hemi and that is not enough options for people. If I went to the Chrysler dealer ship and wanted a 300c and looking at gas prices and other factors I might not pick up that model. That is for people who really want power and do not care for the gas prices. So the other option is the V-6…. Who wants the downgraded one? There should be more models!! Make a Newport that only offers a V-6 or a New Yorker! This goes for Dodge also! They have the Magnum and the Charger and for me it is excusable to get a Magnum with a V-6 but not the Chargers! I can’t stand seeing women and people who bling out a V-6 Charger. I rather have a bone stock Charger R/T than a SXT with 24’s. I see this same problem with the Mustangs if it has rims and racing stripes it’s a V-6.

Chrysler needs more options and it took them two years to revamp the Sebring and the Avenger (stupid name should have stuck with Stratus). The Avenger should have been rear wheel drive also with the V-6 being the largest engine option and build it from a similar frame as the Charger but shorter and lighter.

Jap companies have so many more options so that when you go to the Nissan dealer ship and you want a 350z and cant afford it you have other options.

But worst of all there seems to be an un-cool factor about American cars. A Mazda 3 is considered cool while a Ford Focus is garbage. Put a Mazda emblem on it and every kid would think it was the greatest street racer ever made!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 PM
mnboy
Captain

SRTeater,

You bring up interesting points. I also agree with your "needs more options" point. I would have liked a 6.1 option for my Daytona -- and the Daytona'sare certainly a nicer looking car (special paint and black seats; not just black paint and silver seats...). Maybe uncool factors are there, but Dodge, and GM and Ford, have been hanging in there: different hot models of the most popular two door American car made: the Mustang. And GM is trying with the Solstice, the new Camero, a slick Cobalt SS, and a hot ZO6 Vette (a world-class muscle car for 1/2 the cost of most hot import set ups). Chrysler has always been the "old man's car" luxury group, but with Lexus, Mercedes,Infinity, and BMW around it's a tough choice. Now, to keep its muscle car image the SRT8's are fighting for the big car group. In my garage is a Mazda Speed 6, a Subaru STi, and my Daytona. Oh, I have more leg andelbow room,trunk space, and a V8 instead of turbo 4's, but I'm last in the 1/4 mile, probablybecause of weight and a failure to launch -- they have all wheel drive. But the "kids"enjoy myDaytona and let me play in their games, but, they choose Jap made cars instead of American muscle.Who knows where this will end up... butwhen a kid in a NOS-ed upturbo4 cylinderwith street tires isn't the least bit afraid ofmy buddy's 454 Chevelle on slicks, you KNOW the world is changing.And change is good.

MN

Old 06-03-2007, 07:49 AM
srteatr
Professional

Things will forever change I am just going off what all my freinds say about why they wont buy an American car. My freind has a G35 coupe and its great and fun to drive. When he pulls up girls go crazy for it and think its the best thing ever... I have a 2006 Charger R/T and I get loooooots of wormen looking at my car and saying how great it is... One problem. They are almost all 50 years old or above! Now I do get some younger gals looking but really its older women that look the most. I am 30 years old so this kind of sucks. Now I did not purchase mine for any other reason than I loved the car and had to have one. I love Mopars classic and new. I have many. I am just saying that American cars are not popular with most younger people. I have kids every day trying to race me in Civics and Intergra's that barely have enough power to get out of their own way. I respect Japanese cars and they have come a long way.

I think the American car copanies need more cars. lets see, 300c or 300... Charger R/T or SE? thats about it. How about making a Chrysler based off of the 300 that looks different and has a top option V-6 and no Hemi option... I dont know called it a Newport or New Yorker. I point is that I would not mind having a nice Family car made by Chrysler but I will not settle for one that is not near fully optioned such as a Charger with a V-6. If the had a Coronet that only offers a V-6. I wouldnt want a Charger SE and pull up next to a Charger with a HEMI. I wouldnt care if it was a different car. I do not know if this makes sence at all...

Its funny that everyone thinks the SRT-4 is lame but Evo's and STI are so great! Now ok they do perform a bit better but the SRT-4 is one of the best performing 4 popers ever made. If that thing was made by Honda it would be considered the greatest cheap street racer ever made!!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

My take from Tom L. (CEO of the new Chrysler Holding) is saying the brand will NOT be broken up, keeping Chrylser, Dodge & Jeep. That's good news, assuming he sticks to it!

I'll be watching what happens w/ the Challenger under new control - it should tell us alot:

1) Do they continue to production - assume so?
2) Is the hemi (6.1 or 6.4) still the pwoerplant?
3) 6 speed option?
4) v6 options?
5) Options in general (T/A version, 'Cuda version, etc. lots they could play with if imaginative and gutsy)

This to me, a popular concept "in flight" should tell us a lot about what we might be able expect longer term. Some of the the bidders for Chrysler wanted to take much more "green" and less product mix, we'll see what Cebreus does?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: srteatr

Things will forever change I am just going off what all my freinds say about why they wont buy an American car. My freind has a G35 coupe and its great and fun to drive. When he pulls up girls go crazy for it and think its the best thing ever... I have a 2006 Charger R/T and I get loooooots of wormen looking at my car and saying how great it is... One problem. They are almost all 50 years old or above! Now I do get some younger gals looking but really its older women that look the most. I am 30 years old so this kind of sucks. Now I did not purchase mine for any other reason than I loved the car and had to have one. I love Mopars classic and new. I have many. I am just saying that American cars are not popular with most younger people. I have kids every day trying to race me in Civics and Intergra's that barely have enough power to get out of their own way. I respect Japanese cars and they have come a long way.

I think the American car copanies need more cars. lets see, 300c or 300... Charger R/T or SE? thats about it. How about making a Chrysler based off of the 300 that looks different and has a top option V-6 and no Hemi option... I dont know called it a Newport or New Yorker. I point is that I would not mind having a nice Family car made by Chrysler but I will not settle for one that is not near fully optioned such as a Charger with a V-6. If the had a Coronet that only offers a V-6. I wouldnt want a Charger SE and pull up next to a Charger with a HEMI. I wouldnt care if it was a different car. I do not know if this makes sence at all...

Its funny that everyone thinks the SRT-4 is lame but Evo's and STI are so great! Now ok they do perform a bit better but the SRT-4 is one of the best performing 4 popers ever made. If that thing was made by Honda it would be considered the greatest cheap street racer ever made!!
Send all those 50 year olds my way! I would love to met a nice, younger woman . Hehehehe.

dave

Quick Reply: Now that Daimler has sold Chrysler....