Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Removing Lower engine covers to keep cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
byebyeblue
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Lower engine covers to keep cool

There are a lot of posts about keeping engine compartment temps down but I don't see any mention of removing the plastic under engine covers especially the rear cover. Seems to me opening up the bottom mostly in the rear may increase air flow via siphon action through the entire compartment. I don't own a car lift so other than being in that tight spot changing my oil, I haven't gotten a good look under my car to see if it looks like that may make sense but does anyone have any input on this subject.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Removing Lower engine covers to keep cool

Threads discussing this are probably buried

I believe I run with out mine, if you’re talking about the plastic skid plate that covers the underbelly of the engine compartment.

Here's the most popular pic that has been used to illustrate the underside of the Charger (skid plate circled in TB yellow)

[IMG]local://upfiles/33009/E4D3E228C69241828B4046947AFD0D35.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 AM
byebyeblue
Rookie

Yes that looks like the one, it covers the oil filter area and oil drain plug. I guess I'll leave it off next time I change my oil being that I don't see a reason why it's there anyway. removal may help keep the engine bay cooler is my guess.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Itkeeps the engine compartment cleaner and it may offer extra protection against stray rocks but nothings that low that can get hurt besides the oil filter.

The topic of this thread is why I leave it off

Quick Reply: Removing Lower engine covers to keep cool