Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Great Deal On Tires - Long Read, but worh it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007 | 02:13 PM
Waubeeka
Default Great Deal On Tires - Long Read, but worh it.

I needed new tires and checked around to see what the original Continental CH 95's would cost. I called ETD Discount Tire (here on the east coast, not sure if they are elsewhere), and I got a price of like $165 per. I though that to be very high, but other tires were even more and frankly, even though I got only 30K miles on my original tires, I bought the car used and perhaps the poor wear was due to the previous owners lack of care for them.
Well, not satisified with the price, I looked around and stumbled upon Tirerack.com. Guess what? They had the CH95's there for $82.00 each (still do) for the 225/60/18.
I called ETD, and they said they would match the price for the tire, but they would add the shipping cost to their price (seemed fair to me).

So, I get there, with the add printed, and the shipping cost printed (Tirerack was great for including all the info on the "shipping" page) and the dude behind the desk told me that they don't have the CH95's so he's giving me the Continental run flats for the same price. These were more than the 95's, and he told me that I was actually getting them below his cost. Oh well.
All in all, I got 4 tires for just under $450.00 which was a bargain to me.
Now here is the good part. The tires have a 60K mile warranty. Since I bought them from ETD (vs online), and since I'll have them rotated every 6K at ETD, and since I got an alignment from them the day I bought my tires, I stand a VERY good chance that if the tires don't last 60K miles, I'll have a very good case for replacements at the adjusted price (meaning if I get 30 K out of them, I'll get half off the price for the next set)

So, if anyone is looking for the CH95's (a decent, not great tire) and has a place near them that does price match, go to tirerack.com and print out the ad.

Hope you found this useful

Old 07-26-2007 | 03:28 PM
IXLR8
Veteran
Default RE: Great Deal On Tires - Long Read, but worh it.

When I had a set of tires replaced under warranty at Sears, they offered 60% off the new tires. Unfortunately it was 60% off of the list price, whichleft me payingmore than I paid for the tires.... The only tire warranty worth having is a road hazard warranty. If they have them in your neck of the woods, I recommend Discount Tire. I have never had a problem in a half a dozen transactions, and they will repair any tire you bring in at no cost, no matter where you got it from... They will match there online price if you ask them.

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:21 AM
mkaresh
Banned

You might both be talking about the same chain. Not sure what ETD means.

I have very good luck with a treadwear warranty on Michelin H-rated performance tires at Belle Tire in the Detroit area. But they only offer this warranty on H-rated and lower. Can't remember if they carry Continental. They might have pro-rated off their list price, but their list price isn't high. They might have even pro-rated off a discount price, but I can't remember, it's been a while.

Old 08-02-2007 | 11:48 PM
joe1956

I got just 30 K from the original Conti's and I put on Goodyear Assurance 225/60R18 about 14 K ago. The ride and wear great, and I should get close to the 60 K they are rated for.

Old 08-16-2007 | 09:39 AM
dboys

I had a problem with Discount Tire. I bought 4 tires from them for my Jeep and turned in my four for credit (had less than 7,000 miles on them). They offered a rebate for $100 and being thrilled at that prospect jumped at the chance.
Well, they sent me a letter, without a check, saying that since I received credit for my turn-ins I wasn't worthy of a rebate!
Asked them to send me a copy of the sales receipt that stated this and got no reply.
Since then I have bought 3 sets of tires and might of saved a few $$$, but my experience forbids me from dealing with them.
Watch out for Discount Tire if they offer you a rebate. They lost my potential $1,000+ worth of business not to mention the business they would have got from references from me. Whatever happened to the customer is always right mentality?

TB Owner #870

Old 08-16-2007 | 11:46 AM
Hardcharger
Professional

Man that went out the window about the same time consumers became merely another number

Quick Reply: Great Deal On Tires - Long Read, but worh it.