Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

6.1 injectors in a 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 07:35 PM
MangoInTX
|
Charger Moderator
Default 6.1 injectors in a 5.7

A few weeks ago I helped another localMango brother install a (sidewinder) cam similar to the one I installed. We took our cars to a dyno and found both of us were running way lean.

Both my Mango brother and I recently got 6.1 injectors and installed them. First impressions are good, the car is much more responsive and it pulls harder and smoother from 2800 rpm up.

The difference between the injectors is: 5.7 injectors are 26lbs and the 6.1 injectors are 30lbs. The install is very simple, all of 15 minutes to complete. There are 4 bolts (2 on each rail) and then the rails can be pulled up with the injectors still in the rail. Each injector has a clip that holds it on the rail, just pull off the clip and the injector pulls out of the rail easily. There are two O-rings (top and bottom) some had to be pulled out of their seat with small pliers but it wasn't any big issue. Lube up the new injector O-rings with 5w20 oil and reverse the process.

I’m taking a road trip tomorrow and am looking forward to the PCM/HAL learning the new hardware and making the HEMI experience that much better.

Old 08-14-2007 | 10:13 PM
SRT8HTOWN
Default RE: 6.1 injectors in a 5.7

How much did the cam cost to install and are there any cam mods that can be done to the SRT-8 That you know of ...

I would tend to think your going to have to go forced induction to more HP out of the SRT or just a shot of No2

Old 08-15-2007 | 08:35 AM
MangoInTX
|
Charger Moderator

It wasa KRC 212lx cam, cost roughly 350 for the cam, 150 for rods and180 for springs. I did the install so that was cheap It's a mild cam and I picked up roughly 30 HP. With headers/CAI/cam/tuner I'm 30 HP shy of a stock SRT8.Add the NO2 and that setup it's putting out 40 HP over a stock SRT8.

I was reading about an R/T that has the same setup with milled heads and w/o NO2 beating every stock SRT8 at the track.

Yes there are cams for the SRT8 and yes it would make it perfrom better with the right timing/fuel trimchanges.

Old 08-15-2007 | 10:16 AM
mnboy
Captain

Mango,
You're having way, way too much fun... GOOD for you!

I asked the dealership to give me an estimate to installan aftermarket cam -- $800!! I about fell over. But I believe it has to do with the MDS -- it must be more time consuming -- he said the book says it's all day.

You're still running MDS aren't you? That is a set up I'd like to get to: Sidewinder, ported and polished heads, headers, and maybe N2O -- but the NA set up would be close to the SRT8, like you say. AND getting better mileage with MDS...

I've given up on the supercharging thing -- I've heard too many horror stories of the 5.7's bottom end wanting to leave the block.

Mango, you're the man!

MN

Old 08-15-2007 | 05:01 PM
MangoInTX
|
Charger Moderator

Yes 800 is a good price. I don't think the price has anything to do w/MDS. Things that have to come off: Fascia, radiator (at least enough to drop it at an angle), valve covers, rocker arm shafts. Then the fun begins tearing down the front end... alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor, water pump, harmonic balancer and timing chain cover. Heads should come off if valve springs are being swapped.

It isn't really hard; there are just a lot of things that come off, like you said time consuming.

I'm saving up for the milled street heads. I don't think I'll do much past that until it's time to rebuild, then it will be stoked and harden the lower end.

It is fun, exciting and frustrating at times but in the end it's all good.

Old 08-18-2007 | 01:13 AM
C35L
Professional

I havea 3.5 I'm trying to get my HP up to 300+ I already know that the superchip andCAI helps a little but what other stuff should I look for to add 50+ HP to my 3.5?

Old 08-18-2007 | 10:50 AM
MangoInTX
|
Charger Moderator

This sounds like a good topic for a new thread

I know CAIs/dual exhausts/Jet Chips are available. To get 50+ HP will take some doing. I don't think there are any cams with programs, noheads yet so your best bet is N02 at this point in time.

Old 08-18-2007 | 11:11 AM
C35L
Professional

I think I have post a thread or in another similar threadand I didn't get any runners for the question. I'm thinking about trading my 3.5 for a 5.7 cause there's a couple things that come stock on the 5.7 that I want on my 3.5.

Is the dual exhaust pretty good on the 5.7?

Old 08-18-2007 | 11:31 AM
MangoInTX
|
Charger Moderator

I understand, you get responses in the most odd places, it's all good.

The stock R/T exhaust is good. If I had to do it all over again I would have put offupgradingto a catback but eventually it's something thatneeds to be done => headers, upgading the CATs to high flow and a catback.

Old 08-18-2007 | 11:42 AM
C35L
Professional

ORIGINAL: MangoInTX

I understand, you get responses in the most odd places, it's all good.

The stock R/T exhaust is good. If I had to do it all over again I would have put offupgradingto a catback but eventually it's something thatneeds to be done => headers, upgading the CATs to high flow and a catback.
What does the catback do? I'm not that familiar with the CAT's and Catback.

Quick Reply: 6.1 injectors in a 5.7