Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

6 speed in the Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6 speed in the Charger?

ORIGINAL: Midnight Blue

It looks like the truck guys are having all the fun. You can get a 5.7 with MDS AND a 6 speed manual in a RAM 2500. Seriously considered it, but the extra $5K for the 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton was over my budget so I got the 1500 with the 4.7 and a stick. 310 HP and 330 lb/ft of torque is still respectable.
Maybe the car guys at Dodge should have a few beers with the truck boys.[sm=partyparty.gif]

I can still go fast in my Charger when I want to but when you need to haula half ton ofbeauty bark or lumber that 8 foot bed is nice.

Redbeard

THiers nothing quick abought a 5.7 with a 6 sp in a 2500 Ram, I owm one amd its really fun to drive, but, the 6sp is geared for torque, not acleration, but take the same trans and re do the gear ratios and add the ring and pion from a 2500 and your gonna have to work at killing the drive train, even with the 6.1

Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay on getting back here. Long days and lots of summer projects .

My reference was to the fact that MDS and manual trannys were already in use for other DCX platforms. Hopefully the Challenger hardware gets ported over to Charger.

The 6 speed in the 2500 is a granny low tranny with an OD 6th. The 68 Chevy I just replaced had a granny low 4 sp and I usually started in 2nd for normal driving so it was more like driving a wide ratio 3 speed. I had a 383 stroker in that beast so it wasn't a big problem. The granny low was great for loads or really slow traffic. It also helped getting started on slippery surfaces. The 1500 manual is geared more like a car tranny. Works good with the 4.7 since the power curve isn't as broad as the hemi. Makes driving the truck fun although I still go from 2nd to 5th [:@]occasionally if I get too enthusiastic but I'm getting used to theshifter now so it doesn't happen too often any more. Would make a good power train selection for between a 6 andthe hemi in the car line.

The trucks are a lot heavier so that sucks up the power for acceleration. My 1500 (2WD) weighs 5240 with 28 gals of gas and my 180 pound butt. Your 2500 probably goes over 6000. Compare thiswith the 4200 pound average weight for the cars. That's a 20 to 30 percent weight disadvantage. Although I have no problem jumping on the freeway, I'm kinda wishing I had ordered the 3.92 gears rather than the 3.55s. Would have been a better match for the 4.7 power curve in a vehicle this heavy. Would have cost me $50 to order but $?00 now. Overall, still pleased with the new truck.

Hopefully, the manual transmission will become an option for both Hemi's. The autostick is nice.A chip or tuner upgrade helps a lot but I still find myself arguing with HAL sometimes when I downshift for a slow turn. With a manual, it goes into the gear I select - Period! With the hydraulic clutch setup I still can have power adjustable pedals - sweeeet.

Redbeard

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Axe07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What freaking planet do the Dodge engineers live on? Who wants a big powerful beast of a car with an automatic? That "autostick" or "manumatic" crap or whatever they call it is gay. I was looking at a Charger Superbee today-beautiful car. It was the first "Charger" Ive everloooked at that didnt make me immediately think "rear wheel drive Intrepid". But 45k for an automatic?? I guess thats great if your wife needs a car, but no thanks.

Quick Reply: 6 speed in the Charger?