Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Ordered the CAI+Diablo Package Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 PM
D_Race
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I get for being inexperienced. Ok. Step by step scenario:

1) Took off the stock air filter - No problems
2) Took off the stock tube - No problems
3) Removed the sensor from the stock tube - No problems.
4) Insserted the two grommets in the two holes on the AFE tube - No problems
5) Tried to insert the L shaped elbow fitting into the first grommet on the AFE tube - Disaster.

The rubber ripped in half because I had to force it in. I guess it's common sense to use some kind of a lubricant when inserting this kind of tight fittings. A mention in the manual would be nice. Anyway I got the L shaped fitting in with some lube using the second grommet.

6) I inserted what was left of the damaged grommet into the second hole on the tube for the sensor. Now there is NO-WAY that sensor is going into that small hole. I had my nephew who knows more than me about cars look at it and he agreed. I even called Frank Racing and spoke to a technician and he also agreed. So in the process of forcing the sensor into the hole I broke the little housing around the sensor itself but the sensor remained intact. Anyway the grommet wasn't going to work. So I put some tape around the sensor. It's holding but it's not very tight. At this time I thought my sensor would be damaged.

7) Mounted the AFE tube to the AFE air filter bracket - No problems

Note: The holes on the mounts of the AFE tube wouldn't align with the holes on the AFE air filter bracket. Had to improvise.

8) Installed the AFE bracket and filter - No problems.

Started the car and everything worked and no lights came on so I guess the sensor is intact. Took it for a spin and I could hear the air intake breathe. It sounds awesome and I seem to have a bit more power.

I might get a new sensor just in case. But I'd appreciate some advise on what to do about fitting the sensor properly?

I haven't used the Diablo to tune yet. Be back for that one.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by D_Race; 11-14-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

The housing serves no other prupose than to protect the actual sensor element but If your not throwing codes you haven't damaged the sensor.

It's your choice on ordering another sensor. They don't cost much and would give you a backup and piece of mind. The flip side is hang on to your money for now, keep the part number of the air sendor from a vendor on file and if you need one you can order one quickly and expedite shipping.

Now get that car tuned!

If you haven't updated the turner I would suggest you do that first thing before tuning the car. You need to download and install the latest DSDownloader setup program and CROM. Install the DSDownloader and update the tuner with the CROM.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM
D_Race

The air sensor costs around $45.00. I think I will order a new one and keep the damaged one as spare.

For the Diablo, I didn't order the PC cables for programming for two reasons, one because they were $40.00 and two because they told me that it will have the latest software installed. Not sure how to check if it has the latest. I'll check the instructions again.

My questions right now is what to do about tightning the sensor? I'll shop around abit today.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:17 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Take the damaged grommet to your favorite auto parts store; use it to match up another grommet. You can pop the hood right there in the store parking lot and test the fit.

Diablo is always releasing updates to the CROM software so unless the vendor took it out of the box and flashed the current CROM and boxed it up I doubt it’s current. You don’t have to keep the CROM current but there are some releases you should go to for fixes or enhancements. Put the cable and power supply on your Christmas list. Once you plug it in you can view the version by selecting “Tool Info” off the main menu.

I’m running CROM version u7135-9r04 and the current version is u7135-9r08. The DSDownloader version I’m using is 1.9.9.4 and the current available today is 2.1.0.5. It was sometime in May when I last updated mine.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
D_Race

Thanks for your continued support MangoInTX,

I bought a couple of different grommets and I'm going to try them today.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
dye-lann

cool man, a buddy of mine jsut got the diablo with an slp lm1 package deal. amazing turn out for his car. you'll have fun with it

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 AM
D_Race

Hope it works for me too.

Here are some pics.

Picture of my car. Picture of the AFE CAI contents, and also before and after pictures of the installed CAI.

Last edited by D_Race; 12-01-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Hope you got a grommet to work.

Thanks for the pics, that CAI is wicked!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 PM
D_Race

Thanks it sounds great too.

I bought a couple of different grommets but I want to order and install a new sensor before I start working on it again. I went to the dealers today to order the part and they never have the right picture for the part you need or is that just me. So I've been looking for a part number for the Air Sensor (or at least that's what I think it is) and I found the following Part Number: P/N 4606487AB. Is this correct?

I've been researching on other forums and found a couple of posts with almost identical setups as mine where someone was having problems with the Air Sensor and the AFE air sensor hole being too small. There were different improvisations. Someone filed the hole to make it bigger (make sure to remove the dust). Others had used alchohol or lubricants.

The grommets I've bought are different than the AFE ones but have slightly bigger holes. I just hope that they will fit in the intake hole or I might just have to enlarge the hole too.

I read that you could also disconnect the Air sensor from the wires it is attached too. There is a little red lever that I pulled up but I still couldn't separate the sensor. Is there a trick to taking it apart?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

You can order the sensor from forum vendors, I'll PM ya.

Quick Reply: Ordered the CAI+Diablo Package Today