Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Why Are Dealers Not Willing To Negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
sax_man424
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why Are Dealers Not Willing To Negotiate

I have been shopping around lately to trade in my 2007 Dodge Charger SXT AWD that I purchased last year and I have noticed that dealers are not willing to negotiate\haggle. The reason I have to trade it is that shortly after I purchased it my wife and I found out we were expecting our second child. The dealer that I purchased the vehicle refused to buy back the vehicle and now is out of business (my family and I in the past had purchased 15 cars from them) and the vehicle cannot accommodate two full size car seats (one forward facing and one rear facing). I know the vehicle is hard to find in the Midwest (it took me 6 months of looking before I found one). The car is in excellent shape with no dings\dents. The interior is in almost new shape (even still has the "new car smell").

I have been a Chrysler person all of my life but unfortunately with the treatment that I have received recently I am starting to think of looking at other brands.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Sorry to hear the dealerships up there are not dealing. If you were down here in Dallas recently you could have got some deals with dealerships being driven out of business.

I never thought I would hear the the Charger wasn't big enough LOL

Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MangoInTX

I never thought I would hear the the Charger wasn't big enough LOL
+1
I have had 2 carseats and a teenager in the backseat of mine and one of the carseats was one of those oversized reclining, it'll do everything kinda carseat.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker

If the Charger isn't big enough, what are you looking to trade for? I have one car seat in mine for my grandson, and there's plenty of room left in the back seat.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
sax_man424

My problem is that I am 6'1" and I have to have the drivers seat all the way back. I was looking to trade it in for a Durango.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Hum, I'm the same height and a bit bigger round than I need to be LOL

Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

you might have waited too long....i traded in my charger for a new ram in January. Dodge was at a low point and needed to haggle, things are different now.. You might end up biting the bullet because they have what you want.

My Charger had plenty of room too, i was comfortable and i'm 6'8 230lbs. Should fit two car seats just fine

Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
rambob
Rookie

This is not a put down or meant to be smart assed but trading is for suckers. No matter what the argument or what you have been told a dealer will never give you what you can get fot your vehicle if you sell it out right.

Even if you are upside down sell it for as much as it will bring on the open market. At least you can see the cash in your hand. A dealer will never give you more than low wholsale value for you vehicle if that. Or, they tell you they're giving you more than they actualy are and moving it over to the new car to hide it.

When you buy a new car it usually depreciates by about half when you leave the lot as far as trade in value. Say you pay 30k for a new charger, you deside you want to trade it in the next day, you would be lucky to get 15k from the dealer if that. This will vary depending on the area and the market, the vehicle and the dealership. Sometimes putting up to 50% down is not enough to keep you from being upside down in a new vehicle.

I know ther are times when people get into situations where they feel they have to trade, I've been there myself. But if there is any way to get out of the vehicle even if you have to pay the negetive equity out of pocket, don't trade. YOU CAN NOT WIN WITH A DEALER

Old 07-09-2009, 05:28 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rambob
This is not a put down or meant to be smart assed but trading is for suckers. No matter what the argument or what you have been told a dealer will never give you what you can get fot your vehicle if you sell it out right.

Even if you are upside down sell it for as much as it will bring on the open market. At least you can see the cash in your hand. A dealer will never give you more than low wholsale value for you vehicle if that. Or, they tell you they're giving you more than they actualy are and moving it over to the new car to hide it.

When you buy a new car it usually depreciates by about half when you leave the lot as far as trade in value. Say you pay 30k for a new charger, you deside you want to trade it in the next day, you would be lucky to get 15k from the dealer if that. This will vary depending on the area and the market, the vehicle and the dealership. Sometimes putting up to 50% down is not enough to keep you from being upside down in a new vehicle.

I know ther are times when people get into situations where they feel they have to trade, I've been there myself. But if there is any way to get out of the vehicle even if you have to pay the negetive equity out of pocket, don't trade. YOU CAN NOT WIN WITH A DEALER

Not entirely true, I came out way ahead as well as most of the 4th gen section. I was 9 grand in the negative on my charger and i tried to sell it for way below KBB for 3 months but nobody could get loans with the economy....Took it to the dealership to see what they could do, i walked away with a 09 ram $47,000 sticker for $35,000 out the door minus my down payment of $5000. So out the door i owed $30,000 on a truck stickered at $47,000 and my charger was paid off in full. You can't beat that, you just need to know how to play the dealerships and know when a good time to buy is

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
rambob
Rookie

I stand by what I said. You ALLWAYS come out on the ****ty end trading. People can talk them selves into anything. After years of dealing with car dealers I finaly woke up. Get your financing before you go if possible (dont let them see your finances) Have enough cash to at least pay TT&L, and, don't be afraid to say no. There are too many car's and car dealers out there, don't take anyones offer as THE BEST DEAL untill you've shopped everywhere, take your time.

Quick Reply: Why Are Dealers Not Willing To Negotiate