Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Why Are Dealers Not Willing To Negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see both sides.

It is a timing thing bigred3297. The bottom dropped out of the big vehicle market (including trucks), so prices were right; especially if you were comparing MSRP against what you gave for it.

On the flip side rambob, you are right, 99% of the time you will not do as well on trade-in as you would selling to a private party.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM
mrrbby

timing is everything. We bought our Avenger at the end of last September. At the time, our dealer was offering more than what our ragtop was worth for a trade, and some good factory/dealer rebates. We didn't trade or finance, we paid in cash. $4500 off of the sticker. Rams and minivans were being offered for 40% off of msrp. $4/gal for gas will do that.

Rambob is right, we sold our trade for $250 more than the dealer offered. The same day I posted the ad. The car was pretty hammered. I just wanted it gone.

More recently, I looked at a truck at the same dealer. No good incentives, and they want nothing to do with my trade. A much cleaner/newer/lower mileage car. Timing is everything. They seem to be moving alot of used rams too. Economical type cars seem to languish on the lot.

Good luck w/your trade or sale. Too bad, that's a really nice car. Not too many sxt awd's around here.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Originally Posted by rambob
I stand by what I said. You ALLWAYS come out on the ****ty end trading. People can talk them selves into anything. After years of dealing with car dealers I finaly woke up. Get your financing before you go if possible (dont let them see your finances) Have enough cash to at least pay TT&L, and, don't be afraid to say no. There are too many car's and car dealers out there, don't take anyones offer as THE BEST DEAL untill you've shopped everywhere, take your time.
Up until about a month ago, I would have whole heartedly agreed with you, however, when we got my wife her new '09 charger, they offered her about $700 more than the KBB RETAIL amount for her tarus, and I forget, but it was the highest out of the trade-in, private party, and retail values. On top of that it had a major problem with the shifter or transmission, that we told them about, and they stuck with their offer. I was pretty suprised. I told her we weren't going to trade it in, that we'd just sell it, but after their offer, it was a no brainer.

BTW, my wife is 6 foot tall and has plenty of room for our two kids' car seats in the back.

Quick Reply: Why Are Dealers Not Willing To Negotiate