Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
chevyguy1973
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it replaced back in September and just had it replaced again. At least this time the stupid part was still under warranty from the first repair.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM
mswr94

Originally Posted by mznice17
Anyone else have this problem? I spoke with the dodge dealership service they advised it a common problem with the chargers and it would cost $409.00 to replace. My warranty has expired but is this a manufacture defect should'nt be replaced for free?
I had the exact same proble recently - of it happened after my warrenty expired! I paid $350 for the repair. This was 2 months ago. Now just this week, I heard something snap when I shifted into park! I'm frustrated with the random issues I'm having with my charger. ALSO...with 50k miles, I now need to replace the rack and pinion bc I've had streering issues too! FRUSTRATED!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Welcome to the forum mswr94.

Sorry to hear the issues you have had. Do you think they will replace the shift lever since it was just worked on 2 months ago? Hopefully so! You might want to spend a little extra money on Billet's metal one.

Not sure about the R&P, what symptoms are you seeing?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
AlissaDawn
Default Useless pink dohickey

I joined this forum just so I could post my similar experience and hopefully help the next person who has to deal with this. I have an '06 Charger and the other day I go to back out of a parking lot and it won't shift out of park. I tried everything, even did what the manual instructed to do...remove the rubber insert to the right of the shifter and push the pink button that is supposed to manually release the shifter. NOT! So then it was time for the tow truck. They had to literally drag the car out of the parking spot and up onto the truck. We dropped it off at the front door the dealerships service department. Tow guy said it was the 2nd one he had to tow for the exact same thing. So when we got home, we found this posting. Turns out it was exactly this! Luckily (if you can call it that) my particular extended warranty DID cover it, but some do not. It would have been $350 fix and they do not replace the broken part with the aluminum one you can buy from Billit. The only replace the entire shifter complete with a brand spanking new plastic pink piece of junk that came with it originally. I had not other choice at this point. However, we have ordered the aluminum replacement part and luckily I have a Dad who can do the replacement. I will post afterward and let everyone know how that goes! I still love my Charger, it has been a great car so far. I am just not very impressed with Dodge not issuing a recall for this thing. A lot of women drive this car and to be stranded in a parking lot somewhere is just not acceptable. The should recall it AND they should replace it with the aluminum part instead of the plastic one. Do it right or don't do it at all I say!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
jenbar4053

Just finished tearing my magnum console apart,now I'm just waiting for my billet piece and get rid of that PINK PIECE OF CRAP!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

It must be hit or miss on these supposed troublesome problems I hear other Charger owners experience. I have 95K miles on my 06 Charger and I have had only minor problems that I fixed myself for about the same as normal maintenance cost should amount to. My car is going on 5 years old and it still runs and drives like it is brand new.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, this hasn't happened to everyone, it is just the most common problem. Because of it being plastic, it is most likely breaking due to slap shifting or throwing the shifter into gear. That would be my guess. As soon as it gets cracked, it is only a matter of time before it actually breaks.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM
AlissaDawn

Well my Dad and I just got finished replacing the useless pink part that the dealership put right back in the shifter with the Billit part! Silly mechanics left evidence behind even...the little "hook" that breaks off was sitting quietly on the console clearly visible after we removed the shifter kit because its hot pink for crying out loud! I do not believe the dealership was honest when they said they simply replace the whole shifter kit, because if that were the case, the little broken piece would have been inside the old shifter, not left in the car! I think they disassemble it and replace the pink part with the same piece of crap pink part! All is good with mine now though, Billit aluminum part in place! It's easy to see why it breaks, there is a pretty strong spring that pulls on it each time you shift out of park. I cannot believe Dodge continues to use this part when they could just as easily replace it with the aluminum one. It makes no sense to put customers through all this.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
AlissaDawn

and for those of you it hasn't happened to YET, why wait? It is the worst feeling being stranded and watching them DRAG your vehicle up onto a flatbed tow truck!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 AM
ajbray

this just happened to my car and it is not under warranty. My husband managed to override that stupid pink piece and get it out of park and drove it the dealership and they told him that they are going to have to replace the whole shifter, $300. We have been driving it for a couple of days while the piece is being ordered, we just keep the car in neutral and with the e-brake on while it is parked seems to working just fine llike that. But then this morning my husband was going to work and not it wont shift very well and the check engine light came on. Does anyone know what is going on with this car. and why has this piece not been recalled??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park