Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 PM
crazyjr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazyjr
Hey guys first post, registered because of this issue, except mins so far (only read first page) seems a little different.

I bought my 2006 dodge magnum December 30th, 2022 with 202k miles, surprisingly everything works except the cig lighter, even the 6 disk in dash changer. Well just this week I've had this experience twice, yes twice and that is the difference, you see both times it did this after a minute or two (sometimes fiddling with things or simply stopping and starting it has started working. Looking for possible causes and fixes i found your issue but i think mine is a little different, I think the solenoid itself or possibly the brake switch is the cause

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it? Hoping someone has hate digging in half cocked and not know what I'm doing
Thank you for any help
I saw elsewhere also while researching that the sticking can also be caused by parking on a hill without the e brake engaged causing the park lever to stick in some way. being mindful of that and engaging the P brake on hills, have not gotten an issue since, It's possible my issue was hills over either the plastic piece or the solenoid, I am thankful for now, was a little worried about taking the shifter apart for a $20.00 piece of plastic or metal

Old 03-24-2023, 05:29 PM
DemonsNRoses
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damobcah
Hi ~
This happened to me. All the dealer does is replace the flimsy broken plastic piece with another flimsy plastic piece for a couple of hundred. A$$es!

First, take of the gear box and spot the wire leading to the brake. Push the wire to the right with a screwdriver or whatever and then press the brake and you should be able to get the car out of park. You will have to do this every time until you fix it. I found that somewhere online.

Now, the fix. My boyfriend at the time was somewhat of a mechanical genius. He took the plastic piece out and connected a fishing weight to the spring in its place. Running the spring to the end to connect with another piece of the car at the bottom of where the plastic piece was.

He said "It's science. It's magnetic and will never give out." That was 10 years ago and I still drive my boy (Charger) every day like I have since 2007 (he's a 2006!) Yeah, I'm a girl so my car is a boy.

If you need a picture, I could take off the gear box and try to take a good shot of the most brilliant fix I have seen. Fishing weights cost how much? ...... LOL on the dealers and shame on them.
can you send the picture of what he did?

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger won't shift out of park