Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

newbie(mods)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie(mods)

hello fellas im new to this forum i jus bought an 06 charger rt and i also purchased a mopar cai.Well my question is what do i have to do to keep up with a daytona charger as of mods. i know nothing about dodges i also own a 96 impala ss and i am a wiz when i comes to the b bodies. but feel like a preschooler when it comes to this can anyone help me please. OH ARE THEIR ANY MEMBER FROM PA OR PHILLY AREA.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Hey Part welcome to the forum.

Your already there if your goal is to keep up with a daytona. It would be a drivers race if you were to run one.

The R/T and Daytona are almost the same when it comes to performance. The daytona get a little nod due to a less restrictive air intake and exhaust. You have taken care of the CAI if you got a tuner (most would recommend a Diablo Predator) that would give you an edge with due to a tighter tune. Also look into the different exhaust mods including CATbacks.

Happy modding!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
part

Ok bro thanks alot I appreciate it. With a tune do I have to buy it and where would I plug it in to tune my charger

Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 2 options on tuning.

First, you can buy the tuner and it comes with what is normally reference to as a "canned tune". They are really easy to use. The tuner is about the size of a thick scientific calculator and has a few buttons on it. It would be plugged into the port that is located under your dash on the drivers side (real easy to access). Then follow the directions to upload the tune from the programmer. Really easy. This also allows you to return your car to a stock tune if warranty work needs to be done and your dealer is a pain in the butt about mods and trying to get you to pay for crap when you really don't need to.

The second option is to locate a dyno shop that tunes cars. Not everyone has access to these shops because of where they are located. Most of them use the Diablo Predator to do this. Most dyno shops will charge around $75 for the dyno runs then another $50 to $100 to do the tune. They will adjust everything manually so that your air ratios are near perfect and you get the best tune for the mods that you have. Using a dyno they can see what needs to be increased and decreased to get to that point. You can also buy your own tuner and take it to a dyno shop and let them use it, this way the tuner stays in your possession. YES, the tuner that you would buy can do this. Shops just spend more money on them to have them unlocked for multiple cars. If you buy one, it will be locked to work on your car only (unless you pay the money to have additional cars as well).

When buying a tuner, I would only recommend that you buy a new one and not a used one from Ebay or something like that. Reason is that alot of those "USED" tuners are still locked to the original owners car and if you buy it and have it, then you can't use it. Just to be on the safe side, don't skimp and buy new.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
dirkrob
Default supercharger

i just traded in my 2001 ss camaro for a 2008 dodge charger 3.5 high output and im trying to supercharge it whats the best brand to get for a charger

Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
dirkrob

catbacks would be a good idea

Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirkrob
i just traded in my 2001 ss camaro for a 2008 dodge charger 3.5 high output and im trying to supercharge it whats the best brand to get for a charger
I don't know anyone that makes a SC for the 3.5. Everything I know about is for the Hemi 5.7 and the 6.1L. Sorry.

Even with a SC though, you still wouldn't have the power that the Hemi has. If you are looking at a SC, I can only assume that money was not an object at time of purchase, so why did you not buy a Hemi? Just asking here.

For what you would pay to have a SC built for your car, I think that you would be better off using that money and trading in the 3.5 for a used 5.7. I think that would be the cheaper route.

I can understand why you want to do this though. Going from the LS1 to a 3.5 has to be mind numbing... LOL!!!! More comfortable, but no ponies to get you where you want to go FAST ENOUGH.

Quick Reply: newbie(mods)