Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Tight steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
BlackCharger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight steering

I have a problem with my steering.It has suddenly gotten tight,not undriveable but not normal and the steering wheel doesn't return to center after a turn on it's own.The power steering pump was replace and didn't solve the problem.The mechanic took the new pump back off,didn't charge me and said he has no idea what the problem is and to bring it to the dealer.Any ideas?Are there any sensors that could cause this?Maybe the steering rack,something to do with the steering column.I would appreciate any help before I bring it in to make sure they don't just start replacing parts and run up the bill.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Maybe a u-joint in the steering shaft seizing.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering pump ruled out so I am going to side with Mango on this one. I would take it to the dealer though as there are quite a few things that could actually cause the problem. It could even be a bad spring that is causing the weight of the car not sit even thus pulling the steering in a certain direction.

Since you already changed the pump with no fix, you can at least tell that it has to be something on the mechanical portion of the steering. Now you just have to get it to someone that knows all those parts.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 AM
BlackCharger

Problem was a U joint,found the part # and diagram on a LX forum.Now the steering feels like it did when it was new.I guess "sporty feeling".Now that it is fixed I can tell that it was going for a long time.For a while the steering was soft and felt like I was driving an old chev.The U joint was fine swivelling one way but barely moving the other.I wonder if this could be causing the tie rod end and steering rack problems I have heard alot about.So if you have soft feeling steering this may be a precurser for failure of this part.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update. Good information for later searches.

Quick Reply: Tight steering