Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

CHARGER debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
STERLING
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CHARGER debate

PLUM -- you said>>>

Opinions make the numbers.

All I'm saying is that all the negative, could have been positive, if not at least neutral or much less negative. All while maintaining the current positive reception this car has received.

It may be OK, but it could have been much better. And even if it does better than OK, the negative wake is still there -- and that is a blemish no matter how you look at it.

Whatever. It's all kind of insane, because the arguement is basically created by, and surrounding the name and the market spin. Not the actual car. Because for me, I'm not even arguing about a Charger, really. I'm arguing about what might have been, what many Mopar fans, and many in the rest of the industry would have appreciated as a Charger.

And when I say appreciate, I don't mean a "hey thanks", I mean, appreciate as in respect and a general "whoa, that's cool" reaction. And yes, while they got *some* of that, there is a lot they've missed.

Then there is DCXs negative attitude towards those folks who would have preferred something else. There is the attitude towards the name use, the "dis"ing of the past and using it, and riding it, all in the same sentence. It's a real negative rub that I find offensive, let alone a missed opportunity. A missed opportunity that they oddly enough seem to have a "who cares" attitude towards.

It's all very bizzarre.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

As I said to begin this thread, I sympathize with the OLD SCHOOL (probably mostly former or current CHARGER owners) who are offended by the RE-INTRODUCTION of the CHARGER name on a 4 door sedan. I hate to say it, but IF the OLD SCHOOL was in charge of the new CHARGER, or DODGE marketing in general, DODGE might be in trouble soon. As it is, DC is looking pretty healthy up against the BIG 2 (GM and FORD). I don't care what you call it -- a 2 door coupe is limited to a smaller market than a 4 door sedan.

Just take the CROSSFIRE for example -- nice car, but up against all the competition in it's segment I don't think it's winning. Put the CHARGER badge on it (stretch it with a backseat for your dog, and put the SRT8 spin on it) -- how many would you sell??

DC is taking advantage of a powerful old name (CHARGER) they have the trademark for, and using it where they'll get the most mileage from it -- sad, maybe, but true -- they're EXPLOITING something they OWN to their advantage. DC answers to stockholders, not auto enthusiasts. Stockholders will reward the decision on the CHARGER because DC will sell tens of thousands of them.

Just look at the competition in 4 door sedans -- a lot are cramped & overpriced -- enter the 300 and the CHARGER. Roomy, powerful, boldly designed. The timing is very perfect -- people are coming off the SUV craze, especially because of gas prices. (Ford has the 500 -- nice car, but NO *****). DC is in TUNE and ready for the trend change -- I give them an A+ for their marketing prowess.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:09 PM
plum500
Professional

I agree with you 100%, well, almost. I just don't see how the negative impact of their approach can be viewed as contributing in a positive way -- a slant/take you definitely have on the move. Seems sacraficial to me. And the negative response is from more than just classic enthusiasts, it's average joe who knows what a Charger was, and other enthusiasts who at least had a lot of respect for the vehicle -- and when it comes to this one (the '06), not so much.

I just think they could have done something that made more people happy, or at least less people extremely unhappy -- without sacraficing any positive response they have received on this car, and sacraficing fans of the classic.

I find the whole thing oddly contradictary as well, and just plain "wha??". I mean, if you are so pumped about a new car, and distancing yourself from the past, why turn around -- hell, not even turn around -- in the same breath, try and hype the old.

Now the story is, that they feel "the car stands on its own" and there will not be references to the past in advertising. Perhaps they learned something from the very loud (negative) response they received, or perhaps it was all planned anyway. Dunno. Perhaps they'll redeem themselves with those folks more than a little sour at their direction, or perhaps they really don't care. Dunno, but if they don't, that is the most odd thing ever. Everyone is a potential customer, generally, the more people you make happy, the better. And those folks with an obvious (potential) connection to your efforts...well, seems a no-brainer to me.

Whatever, I just think this whole thing could have been less of a mess.

- lose all the inaccurate or annoying marketting behind this '06 car...or.... create a product and story with very real connections to that past, which will ease it over to the sedan product
- personal preference, but that front end... yuck....
- even for a sedan I'd go for side lines closer to the 300 (leave the hip)
- the rear view is like 100 other cars out there -- window, lights, contours, tailpipes, stance -- everything. It's an Altima -- needs spice and originality for the Charger badge
- if your gonna sedan the name like this, make a coupe as well -- there's no way some of your sedan market that isn't simply "settling" aren't going to balance this out, not to mention all the folks who would jump at a slick coupe on this platform
- it's not just the door count, at least for the coupe folks -- for a sedan I would almost expect different styling -- grills, etc, but add some more Charger like styling for the coupe -- in every way, carrying those changes between both coupe and sedan so they aren't all that different in some areas like the back and the front, with the major styling difference being in the sides
- have the 2 vehicles compliment each other -- so the guy that "has" to go for the sedan, or "wants" to because he is *ahem* "grown up" with fam, will still feel in the same loop as the coupe (sorry for the lame rhyme)

...those are some things that I think would have made for a much happier and less dysfunctional story, though I know it's easy to dream with no budget constraints. Maybe they spread the story too thin. Maybe they had to. Maybe the rest will come later. Maybe it won't. Still though, seems like someone made a boo boo to me.

Ah, but what do I know -- just trying to reason things out.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and here we go again....

Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
plum500
Professional

...you're right... nothing new. I'm gonna shut up about it. The horse is beaten far beyond.... Think nickoman said it best with "resistance is futile"....

Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: plum500

...you're right... nothing new. I'm gonna shut up about it. The horse is beaten far beyond.... Think nickoman said it best with "resistance is futile"....

yeah i said that, but i probably spelled it wrong...

Old 05-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Loghead
Amateur

DC needing to answer to their stockholders does not make them unique. Ford is in the same boat, and GM etc. etc. Ford and GM didn't seem to feel any need to spit in the face of owners and enthusiasts of their older products.
In fact, they, in their advertising, have offered a nice "thanks for your loyalty" tip of the hat to those folks. You know the ones I'm talking about; the cool Steve McQueen ad, the ads from GM featuring Steppenwolf and all the nostalgia that goes with that era. They're not hesitant to share fond memories with their own loyal following even if (in the case of the new Goat) the car is a flop.
What remembrance have the MoPar faithful gotten?
Two hairbrained morons in a decrepit Duster trying to keep pace with a "Hemi" powered Dodge truck?
Trevor Creed badmouthing those of us who yearned and hoped for a more traditional Charger?

Rumors of the Challenger being re-incarnated make me cringe now...
maybe I'll get some Challenger badges and tack them on my minivan so I can beat Trevor Creed and Dodge to the punch.

Quick Reply: CHARGER debate