Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

CHARGER debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 02:23 PM
STERLING
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHARGER debate

Although I'm sympathetic to the OLD SCHOOL on the CHARGER issue, today for a major mfr it's about moving iron. DC has little choice but to do what they're doing if they want to sell cars -- and IMHO, the CHARGER will be a huge hit.

There is a trash heap of 2 seaters or 2 door coupes that haven't sold well.

THUNDERBIRD -- someone else said it, not me, but Ford would have a hit on their hands if they had made it a four place -- now it's being discontinued.

CROSSFIRE -- our local dealer has a 20 year supply of CROSSFIRES (now, there's an idea for you old CHARGER fans -- put the CHARGER badge on the CROSSFIRE so you're all HAPPY and call the new sedan the CROSSFIRE -- everybody's HAPPY!!!)

SSR -- now there's a real mover -- just what the market wanted -- a $45000 retro truck (that can't carry a 2x4 home from HOME DEPOT -- hee hee)

Are you with me? You can be pissed all you want, DC is making a shrewd move here.

Oh, I almost forgot:

PONTIAC GTO -- last fall, could buy one for about $25-26,000 (marked down from $34,000) -- even the dealers were scoffing at what a DOG it was -- totally missed the mark, and that might be what would happen with a "retro" CHARGER.

And one final thought -- the MUSTANG -- it's a category unto itself -- FORD gets a free pass here where no one else can sell a 2 seater with a backseat that'll hold your DOG. GM couldn't do it (CAMARO & FIREBIRD) and neither will anyone else.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:13 AM
plum500
Professional
Default RE: CHARGER debate

Yawn.

A truly A+ move would have everyone who is hot for this thing now, still hot, without disappointing, aggrevating, and letting so many others down (let alone offending them) -- that is, to have all those you would expect to be at least OK with this move, on side as well.

While they might come out of it smelling like a rose, it's far from shrewd and slick, more like combat marketting if you ask me.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:20 AM
done
Rookie

You can only measure a marketing plan one way. Opinoions don't count, numbers do. Come back in a year and see who was right.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:21 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: done

You can only measure a marketing plan one way. Opinoions don't count, numbers do. Come back in a year and see who was right.

I'm right. screw everyone who is anti THE CHARGER. numbers are on my side.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:17 PM
STERLING

"A truly A+ move would have everyone who is hot for this thing now, still hot, without disappointing, aggrevating, and letting so many others down (let alone offending them) -- that is, to have all those you would expect to be at least OK with this move, on side as well. "

What??? Can I get a translation, please...

Old 05-08-2005, 02:08 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually the numbers are on no ones side...because they havent sold any yet..

and nicko, what is the measure of excelence for the new charger?

if they sell 100? 1000? 100,000? if it outsells the magnum? if it outsells the GTO? the mustang? if it lasts 2 years?

Old 05-08-2005, 02:29 PM
plum500
Professional

Opinions make the numbers.

All I'm saying is that all the negative, could have been positive, if not at least neutral or much less negative. All while maintaining the current positive reception this car has received.

It may be OK, but it could have been much better. And even if it does better than OK, the negative wake is still there -- and that is a blemish no matter how you look at it.

Whatever. It's all kind of insane, because the arguement is basically created by, and surrounding the name and the market spin. Not the actual car. Because for me, I'm not even arguing about a Charger, really. I'm arguing about what might have been, what many Mopar fans, and many in the rest of the industry would have appreciated as a Charger.

And when I say appreciate, I don't mean a "hey thanks", I mean, appreciate as in respect and a general "whoa, that's cool" reaction. And yes, while they got *some* of that, there is a lot they've missed.

Then there is DCXs negative attitude towards those folks who would have preferred something else. There is the attitude towards the name use, the "dis"ing of the past and using it, and riding it, all in the same sentence. It's a real negative rub that I find offensive, let alone a missed opportunity. A missed opportunity that they oddly enough seem to have a "who cares" attitude towards.

It's all very bizzarre.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:34 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

and because you said that plum, and because i agree with you, this will explode into an arguement.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:05 PM
done
Rookie

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

actually the numbers are on no ones side...because they havent sold any yet..

Which is why I said come back in a year. By the way, only DC can evaluate success or failure. It is their company and thier decisions and their responisibility to thier stockholders. Their job is to make money and that is how they will measure the results.

For the rest of us, being a critic is cheap, we have no skin in the game. Whether we praise or condemn, we are only a single voice. The market will tell the tale and time will uncover the truth.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:11 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

right..but no car company will ever declare a car to be a loser...they could sell 5 Chargers....and crush the rest..and they will still declare it to be a big winner when speaking to the public.

Quick Reply: CHARGER debate