Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2007 charger wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
mahogany
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 charger wont shift

i have a 2007 dodge charger that wont shift gears at all. mechanic said it wasn't trans. thought it was computer brain not sending signal to tranny to shift, didnt work, goes into lymp mode when doing diagnostic check no codes come out, also makes strange noise when the key is turnt to acc. can anyone help me and will this cost me alot

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First question, which model do you have? SE, SXT, R/T, SRT?

Second question for clarification, your car goes into gear and will move but will not shift to 2nd/3rd, or you can't get the car to shift out of park? Need a little more clarification on exactly when it is happening.

Is the check engine light on? You may not be able to pull codes because of the programmer being used but if the CEL light is on, there is definitely a code.

Just to throw this out at you just in case, if you bought the car new, your tranny will be under warranty and you can take it to the dealer at no cost. Unless it is the SRT model.

Everything that I can think of would have thrown a code / turned on the CEL light. There are a few sensors and solenoids that can control the shifting. This is why I asked about the light.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Might it possibly be the same as this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...t-of-park.html

Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
mahogany

my charger is a se unfortunatly, and there are no lights on to indicate a problem thats what is crazy to me and when doing the diagnostic check it doesn't send out any codes mechanic said it went into lymp mode not sure what that is i am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow but was hoping someone could help me so i dont go in there and get ripped off letting them tell me anything, also how do u do the trip reset trick i heard about something about turning the key three times want to try and do that to see if its works im just so desperate right now love the car but it is such a headach, oh and i almost forgot that it shifts out of park it actually drives but the rpm dont shift at all

Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

lymp mode? I have never heard that term used before either. Maybe it has something to do with his particular programmer.

There is a shifting solenoid located inside the tranny case that could cause this problem but it should have thrown a code. The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't cause a CEL light coming on is maybe the tranny got that FUBAR that the computer doesn't recognize it.

Another thing that I can wrap my mind around is maybe the shifter is broken. The car may appear to be in drive to the naked eye but in reality it is in first gear. No CEL light will go on because the computer is seeing that you have the shifter there and the car is doing what it is told. Thus no CEL light.

Anyway, when you take the car to the dealer, if you have a smartphone, feel free to pop on and post up what you are hearing and I will try to be on tomorrow more.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Limp-in mode or fail safe are the same meanning. Limp-in means the transmission will only start out in 2nd gear on 4 speed trans and 3rd in a 5 speed trans. Do you have the 2.7L engine or the 3.5L? These are 42RLE transmission and the 5.7 or 6.1L would have the NAG1 trans. If you don't know what you have, send me the last of your vin on a pm. I will be able to tell you what you are and if you still have powertrain warranty.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

He has the 2.7l master.

Thanks for stepping in on this. Didn't know about the limp mode.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Originally Posted by mahogany
...also how do u do the trip reset trick i heard about something about turning the key three times want to try and do that to see if its works...
I believe the key truning trick your talking about will display any Check Engine Light (CEL) codes <=this works if you have EVIC. You stated there are no codes so this will not be of any help.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

I get the limp mode in the stroker all the time now if I dont shift early enough on a burn out or hard acceleration, I even tried setting my limiter down to 6400rpms but that still doesnt work... what happens is the motor over revs the tranny TCM cant catch it/lock up soon enough and shift before the motor hits the rev limiter... I just gotta pull over put it in park trn off and start it Im good to go again..Looks like I need a MPTCM...Good luck on your prob you wouldnt happen to have a tuner you tried to change the gear ratio would you ? that would do it

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
mahogany

sorry l and r two ima a girl u said he is doesnt really matter though

Quick Reply: 2007 charger wont shift