Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Former police car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
cowboytrucker32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Former police car?

Ok. So right now I am the proud owner of a 94 Ram. I love that girl. How ever, my new job requires that I commute. Now my old girl gets horrible gas milage and I am thinking about selling her and buying me a Charger. Love the look. Them things are mean as hell.

So I was looking around and found a 2006 (or 2007) can't remember which one. 5.7 Hemi. Old highway patrol cruiser. I want it. Low miles 66k. Big engine. Upgraded suspension and breaks. It would be a bad ***. I want it. Only problem is the interior is basic as an old Chevy work truck. Rubber floors, and the center console is pretty crappy. I guess they have a special one for the cops and there little computer deal. Everything else I don't care about.

My question is, if I were to buy this bad boy. 1, would it be worth it to buy an former police car? 2, would I be able to find an OEM carpet kit or something and a OEM center console and if I could, would one from a regular model fit in there? 3, anything I should watch out for if I am buying an used police car?

Thanks for the input boys and girls.

Also, would the gas milage be much better? My ram with the 5.9 gets about 10-12 mpgs less when I romp on it real good. Or should I just get a V6 charger?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Nice to see you in the Charger section cowboytrucker32!

Carpet & center console. Check out salvage, you should be able to at least get the console there. Carpet would depend on how ripe it is from sitting in salvage. I don't know enough about the cruiser to speak to any fitment issues.

If you drive like the ydo when estemating the MPG (using big toe only, down hill both ways) you can get upwards of 19 in town. Normally look for 15 in town with a little romping around.

Good luck!

Last edited by MangoInTX; 11-04-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Dude, I was a Police Officer for several years and the LAST car I would ever buy would be a ex-police car. They get the hell driven out of them, are often involved in accidents, the engine sits and idles for hours on end, and maintenance is a hit or miss situation depending on the PD budget at the time.

Dusty

Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say the same thing that Dusty mentioned. On top of that, I've never seen a former police anything being sold that had less than 100k miles. I don't care how much their budget is, they aren't getting rid of a car with low miles unless they feel it wouldn't be safe on a chase or something.

Unless you are getting the car for 5k or less that you can drop some dough into it, I would would steer well clear of that car.

As far as miles go, the Hemi charger will get better mpg's than your truck, but if you are commuting long miles, don't expect to see numbers like you would be driving the caliber, neon, stratus, or any other car. Heck, even the SXT (6 cyl.) Isn't rated much better than the hemi as far as MPG's. Plus the Charger is just a fun car to drive. Don't buy it for the mpg's, buy it because you want it!!!

Quick Reply: Former police car?