Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Headers/Exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
8319policepackage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers/Exhaust question...

I am thinking of replacing the entire exhaust system on my 2009 Charger(police package 5.7 hemi). Any recommendations? It is a patrol car so my ultimate goal is to achieve more power with a little bit more rumble. I don't want it so loud that I can't hear anything inside the car.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow makes a good system that is nice and quiet while cruising, but has a nice rumble when you go wide open (for example those nice little police chases you may frequently be part of). In honesty though you really don't need the entire system. If you look under your car towards the middle, you will see a muffler the size of a large suitcase. If you cut that out and run straight pipes leaving on the resonators in the back (those are the 2 mini muffler looking things right before they exit). I attached a pic, it's of the jack points but you can see what I am talking about. remove the suitcase, leave the resos and see how that sounds. Cheap, easy and fast to do. If it is too loud, you can always get the magnaflow or any other performance muffler to tone it down.

Name:  ChargerJackPoints.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  34.9 KB

As far as headers. JBA makes a direct bolt on shorty set that you will need no modifications done to get them mounted properly. They are of average price and I'm not going to say it is an easy job though. One side is easy, the other is a PITA!!!!

My Charger had the full catback Magnaflow. Sounded nice, but I could have saved a bundle just by buying the muffler and buying some tips for the look. The exhaust that you got is already the same diameter as the pipes you would buy new, and since your car is a police cruiser, there is no need to spend the money on stainless as no one is ever going to see them. Get some nice 4" tips though, they make the car look mean as hell.

Quick Reply: Headers/Exhaust question...