Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Charger SRT8 2010 New

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
HenryWinkler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger SRT8 2010 New

Looking for some information\advice on possible purchase of the Charger SRT8 2010 through dealer. What is the longevity of these? Is it going to be alot of problems after 100K miles etc? I was quoted 43 grand MSRP and am in Buffalo NY (Would store it in winter). I was thinking of purchasing but i'm hearing some things about limited powertrain and premium gas only? For example if I blew the engine at 40K under limited powertrain which i understand to be 36K miles that means I have to pay the cost of new engine? Is 200K mileage typical on these? Thanks for any info

Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

43k for the price is about right.

As far as problems over the 100k mark, I don't think anyone has that many miles on a SRT that I have seen. Most SRT owners won't drive their cars in the winter, or heavy rains, storing them in the garage when they can, so high mileage SRT's are hard to locate.

As with any car though, the longevity of the engine/car will boil down to how you maintain the car. There are lots of 100k plus mile 5.7 hemi's with little to no problems when maintained. Now if you take that SRT and start adding power adders and other mods, you can look at shortening the life of the engine or tranny. Again, this is the same with any car, but then again, we are talking about the SRT, you're gonna race it when you can. If you pay attention to the little things, the big things won't break.

Now for the warranty. YES, if you have 40k miles and the engine goes boom, you will have to pay for it. That is how the warranty works. It sucks, but that is how it goes.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those engine and trans will last if you maintain it.

I had a Customer with Vortech Supercharged SRT-8, he jut hit 45k, no engine or trans problem. He beat the living crap out of it. Smoke thru a set of tires before 20k miles.
But he does his oil change every 5kmiles, and flush his trans every 25k miles. etc...

Powertrain is NOT what you need to worry about on a SRT-8 or Hemi. rather, you are going to spend some money on bull**** electronic problems, expensive tires, oil change, brakes, and A LOT of suspension work. and YES, premium gas only.
mintainence wise:
16 spark plugs for a tune up? 7 quarts o Full synthetic oil? How about $1000 for a set of decent tires? have you thought about those? If I am driving, it should probably get like 9 miles per gallon on those cars, LOL.

Overall, these vehicle will be a lot more expensive to own than a Honda Civic, i can tell you that much.

Last edited by steak59; 02-06-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Charger SRT8 2010 New