Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Fd123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knock

Hello guys,

I ve started to have a problem with my engine a a few months ago. I am not sure if there was any conection w the hot weather - but I started to have an engine knock when it was about 115F in CA (I parked the car and when I got back to turn it on I noticed the knock).
I do not want to leave it w the dealer because I have no idea how long they will keep it for (even to check what the problem is). I had a few explanations - that its either the lifter or the valves. Does anyone have any ideas what it is and how much it might cost to fix it? (It starts the knock when I turn it on, and it is pretty much always there - sometimes louder sometimes quieter) Also, the bushings have cracks in the push rods so I dont know if that can some how contribute to the problem (just guessing)
Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by Fd123; 02-07-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What engine do you have? What oil do you use when you change it? How did you come about seeing cracks in the push rods?

I ask about the engine because the HEMI has a natural tick to it that everyone complains about. I ask about the oil because if you are using the wrong oil, there has been problem noted going that way. I ask about the rods just because unless you pull the valve covers, heads, and clean the system, the rods are a little difficult to see. However, if the rods are indeed cracked or bent, that is where your problem can be. As for price, depends on who does the work and what product your put in the car. The rpice can go from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Fd123

Thanks for your response. I have the 3.5L engine. I used to use the regular oil but after the knock started I was sugested to use the synthetic but it didn't help. I m not sure if we are talking about the same push rod. The mechanic noticed it when I was going to change the brakes. The bushings - looks like its made from rubber- are inside the push rods that are located in the tire/brake area.

Originally Posted by L and R Two
What engine do you have? What oil do you use when you change it? How did you come about seeing cracks in the push rods?

I ask about the engine because the HEMI has a natural tick to it that everyone complains about. I ask about the oil because if you are using the wrong oil, there has been problem noted going that way. I ask about the rods just because unless you pull the valve covers, heads, and clean the system, the rods are a little difficult to see. However, if the rods are indeed cracked or bent, that is where your problem can be. As for price, depends on who does the work and what product your put in the car. The rpice can go from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

Last edited by Fd123; 02-08-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope we are not talking about the same rod. I'm thinking of engine parts obviosuly, but yeah what your talking about can cause a knocking sound as well and sounds like it is coming from the engine just because of location. As far as price goes, I can't help you on that one. Again, it will come down to the garage and the parts that are used. It is not oil change cheap, but at the same time it is not engine rebuild expensive.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Fd123

Thanks a lot for your help. May be I ll take it in to pin point what's wrong w it

Originally Posted by L and R Two
Nope we are not talking about the same rod. I'm thinking of engine parts obviosuly, but yeah what your talking about can cause a knocking sound as well and sounds like it is coming from the engine just because of location. As far as price goes, I can't help you on that one. Again, it will come down to the garage and the parts that are used. It is not oil change cheap, but at the same time it is not engine rebuild expensive.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 AM
'87IROCZOWNER

Originally Posted by Fd123
Thanks a lot for your help. May be I ll take it in to pin point what's wrong w it
Good idea. Letting an engine (assuming its the engine) knock for an extended time WILL totally grenade your engine as mentioned earlier will cost you thousands of dollars. Unless of course you are doing it on purpose so you can drop a V8 in it. But again good idea let someone check just in case.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
cormiernathan
Default fd123

Hi Fd123, i had the same problem with my charger (2007) 3.5L engine, it was my intake that was doing it, for the 3.5L they made 2 intake the first one wasn't strong enough for the engine. i have replace my intake and it solved the problem.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Fd123

Originally Posted by cormiernathan
Hi Fd123, i had the same problem with my charger (2007) 3.5L engine, it was my intake that was doing it, for the 3.5L they made 2 intake the first one wasn't strong enough for the engine. i have replace my intake and it solved the problem.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. How much did it cost you altogether?

Quick Reply: Engine Knock