Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Trouble Code P1798 Dodge Charger 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 PM
IkeJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Code P1798 Dodge Charger 2008

My '08 dodge charger shows trouble code p1798 right now and I was wondering if anyone has had this propblem and/or if you think it simply needs transmission oil and filter change or that I would need a new transmission soon? My check engine light is NOT on and has never been on. My cars hesitates to pick up speed after hitting 60mph then finally picks up speed which is why I had it put on diagnostics machine. I am up to date on fuel system cleaning and tune up and oil changes. Please help and put it simply guys please- as I know nothing about cars and don't wanna be hustled by the transmission shop.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Charger section,
FF

Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just looked for that code and can not find it on my list, so I am not really sure what it means.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM
IkeJ

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Charger section,
FF
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM
IkeJ

Originally Posted by KRZY.BMET
Well I just looked for that code and can not find it on my list, so I am not really sure what it means.

Please help me

Old 06-11-2011, 12:55 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

One site claims it is for worn or burnt transmission fluid,
FF

Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM
IkeJ

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
One site claims it is for worn or burnt transmission fluid,
FF
This info I know firestone told me that- I guess my real question is what does this mean for my transmission? Do you all think that I will need my transmission rebuilt because I fear that's what the transmission shop will say. I don't want to be hasseled if all I need is a transmission oil and filter change. My check engine light is NOT on and has never been on. My car stalls/hesitates when it reaches 60mph then finally picks up speed. The charger is an '08 and has 75,000 miles on it. It was previously owned and IDK if it has ever had the tranny oil changed but I keep an oil change on it- I also more recently had a tune up and before that a fuel injection cleaning from firestone. What do you all think also before I had the fuel injection twice when I tried to start my car up it turned right back off- firestone advised me to get the fuel injection- it never shuts off now but I'm thinking a problem was beginning there.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

I tink the transmission is covered for seven years no matter if you are the second owner. I would change the filter and fluid and see if it improves,
FF

Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would do a tranny flush and change and see what happens. You can usually get them done for around $80.

My next step, would be to have a dodge dealer check to see if your computer needs to have the programming upgraded. I know since the '08 came out there has been at least 2 upgrades to resolve issues. Now with this though, some dealers will do it for free and some will charge up to $200 to do.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 PM
IkeJ

Originally Posted by KRZY.BMET
Yeah, I would do a tranny flush and change and see what happens. You can usually get them done for around $80.

My next step, would be to have a dodge dealer check to see if your computer needs to have the programming upgraded. I know since the '08 came out there has been at least 2 upgrades to resolve issues. Now with this though, some dealers will do it for free and some will charge up to $200 to do.

Thank you so very much- I will take your advice!

Quick Reply: Trouble Code P1798 Dodge Charger 2008