Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Blinker Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Rocket67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker Switch Problem

As of yesterday I have a very strange issue with my multifunction controller. Below is what is happening and my assessment:

• When I turn the wheel to the right I feel and hear it making a loud clicking/popping noise (lock to lock about 5 clicks/pops).
  • When the right blinker is on, once the turn is completed for some reason the left blinker comes on and I hear a loud pop/click.
  • When going from a right turn to immediate left using blinkers….the left blinker is turned off when turning the wheel to the left and it makes the same noise.
I searched the internet on this one and it appears to be a common problem. The loud click or pop when turning the wheel from left to right (happens about 4 or 5 times when you go lock to lock) and the left blinker coming on after making a right turn using the blinker. It appears to be either the clockspring mechanism which in pictures I have seen had several tabs and one was broken, or the Multifunction mechanism. I sent an email to Dodge because my car is out of the 3yr/36K mile warranty but I only have 30K miles on it. If you think about it, this should be a recall. What if that piece of plastic, knocking around in between all the gizmos and wires, decides to short the airbag wires? This part is not a wear and tear item, this should last the lifetime of the car and yet fairly new cars with low miles are having this problem. I don’t know if it’s possible for that thing to actually cause a situation where the driver loses control but at the least, it’s really distracting. Dodge told me that I qualify for Dodge assistance so I am taking the Charger to the dealer tonight. Let’s see what they end up doing on this. Hopefully it will be a 100% fix from Dodge.

If you have this problem, please contact Dodge. The more complaints they get the more they will need to address the situation. I am not 100% sure that putting new parts in will take care of the problem long term. If I get the exact same part then I estimate 4 years and we will be doing this all over again.

Link to post about clockspring canceling tabs:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/tu...6/#post3883375

Link to replacement info:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=132794

Good Luck!

Multifunction Switch

Quick Reply: Blinker Switch Problem